View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Diagnosed with ADHD - December 31st 2012, 03:48 AM

I have to agree with a lot of what Lizzie said. A lot of why people struggle in college is because they don't know how to study right. Everyone has their own "way" to study, but even still you have to study "right" in order for it be effective and attending some seminars or talking to a counsellor or consultant of some type would probably help--you'd get diff tips on how to make things work and spin off with you're own way of doing it... I was one of those people who just sort of coasted through high school cause it wasn't that challenging for me to get average grades (70's and low to mid 80's) without really having to struggle particularly hard. That combined with attention problems made it difficult for me in my first year of university.
Like I am one of those people who as long as I have something to do I am good (ex. watching tv and doing stuff on my computer or reading). I do best if I have stuff to do outside of school because it helps me from getting overwhelmed and makes sure I manage my time (because if i have to go somewhere at X time then I am more inclined to get "cracking" than if I have nothing better to do than go home, have supper and study day after day, prevents procrastination). So it's really all about doing what will work best for you.
And as for the meds, vyanese... Is that non-stimulant? Because that might be helpful. The stimulants (like Ritalin, Adderall, Concerta) caused me to feel more anxious and high strung and I think that's cause it was a stimulant and I wasn't the only one who had issues like that. The non-stimulants (such as strattera which is the only one I know of like that) might be beneficial to someone like me. You might want to monitor changes in weight, appetite, sleep habits and mood closely. Those tend to be the major areas of concern (like I'd always be asked by the docs about it). You should ask people close to you to help monitor it as well (a roommate or parents if your still at home or a close friend or 2). Also, ask your doctor to do an ECG (or refer you), none of my other docs did it but I went in one day and my doc was like yeah this should be done just in case because if you have (unknown) heart or thyroid problems (ex. levels that would be considered at risk are a consideration too) it is important to make sure that those will remain under control. It might not be 100% necessary if it took a while for a doctor to suggest it, but it seemed like a good idea once my doctor explained why

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.