View Single Post
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess

Points: 20,124, Level: 20 Points: 20,124, Level: 20 Points: 20,124, Level: 20

Re: Mental health and disability - February 19th 2013, 10:02 PM

With specific regards to your poll (not the British income support system, I know nothing about that), it might be worth asking your doctor. I didn't realise I qualified for disability support - my diagnosis is mood disorder due to a general medical condition and BPD - but my psychiatrist listed me as having disabilities that are "other psychiatric" and "other central nervous system". This means that if my team decide I need something in order to help me stay alive and well, the government pays for it. I think the most common costs covered are a landline and prescription/medication fees.

I am also in a place where I can only work a limited amount due to my tendency to get unwell. The type of financial assistance I receive at the moment actually allows me to work a small amount if I want, which is good.

So anyway, are you disabled? Not in the sense we usually think of the word, but in a way that results in your requiring ongoing financial assistance and mental health support, then definitely.

As Jessie said, there's no harm in applying.