TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Elle
Average Joe

Name: Elle

Points: 9,612, Level: 14 Points: 9,612, Level: 14 Points: 9,612, Level: 14

Scared of what the doctor might tell me - February 15th 2010, 09:27 PM

I was diagnosed with depression 10 years ago and have been in and out of therapy since.

When I started university I just wanted a new life. I wanted to be happy. I don't want to sound melodramatic but I just wanted to be normal. No anti depressants, no weekly visit to the psychiatrist and psychologist etc.

And I was happy for a while. I came off my anti depressants and so there was like a month or so a year and a half ago where I struggled with my depression. But for a long time I was really enjoying myself. My social life was amazing, my university work was going well.

But since my second year has started I've been on a rollarcoaster. My mum has bipolar and if I'm honest with you I think I may be suffering from it. I know I could just go to the doctor but I'm scared they'll say that I have bipolar. I don't want to be the freak with the mental illness (no offence, it's just how I would be scared I'd be labelled). At the same time if I go along and they say it's not bipolar and just your standard run of the mill mood swings and depression then it's likely I'll be put back into therapy or back onto anti depressants.

I don't want to be a part of the mental illness cycle. My mum is, my dad is.. I can't be like them :/
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: Scared of what the doctor might tell me - February 15th 2010, 10:09 PM

Just because you go back, and they do re-diagnose you with depression, or anything else for that matter, it does not mean that you have to take the medication. There are other forms of therapy out there that are worth looking into. You can go, and find out what is going on, but you don’t have to take their course of treatment. Knowing what is going on might reduce your stress level, just getting answer will help. What you do with that answer is up to you; don’t feel pressured to go back onto the medication. You are an adult and you can decide what is best for you.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Scared of what the doctor might tell me - February 15th 2010, 11:23 PM

Hey there,

I know exactly how you are feeling. I remember when I first really noticing that things were not going good for me and that I needed to seek help I didn't want to because I knew they would want to put me on medicine.

I was against medicine because of a lot of my family's view on it and I didn't want society to label me. However, I knew getting help was more important and so I went and talked to someone. They did end up putting me on meds but they went really slow with it and now about 2 years later I am making the decision that meds are not the right thing for me and I am working with my doctor to get off meds.

So, even if your doctor were to put you on meds after you were more stabilized for a certain amount of time you could consider going off of it.

Also, Lizzie is right, there are other options besides medicine. The thing is you have to communicate to your doctor the fact that you do not want to be on medicine. Doctors try and listen to what their patients want because they know that the patient knows themselves best.

So, go in to your doctor and make sure they understand what is going on. Don't turn away from the help you can get because of medicine because if your doctor knows this I am sure he/she will try their hardest to keep you off of medicine.

Lastly, if you were to be put on medicine no one would have to know. If someone saw you taking pills you could tell them it was for your 'asthma' or something else. You do not have to tell people that you are struggling with this until you are ready. And, to be honest, more people understand where you are coming from when it comes to dealing with depression.

Please hang in there and if you ever need to chat feel free to pm me.

Jenna
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
plk524 Offline
stuck...what to do?
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Prudence Lynn <3

Points: 9,469, Level: 14 Points: 9,469, Level: 14 Points: 9,469, Level: 14

Re: Scared of what the doctor might tell me - February 18th 2010, 01:40 AM

you're not like your parents just because you have something they do. And so what if you're bipolar or depressed? My brother is same rare thing of bipolar, and i have depression. Neither of us are on meds. I struggle with it everyday, I don't know about him. But I get through it. You have friends that care about you, I'm sure about that even if I don't know you. Everybody has at least 1 person they can talk to about almost everything. But you should't be afraid to find out something that seems to be affecting you so strongly.
Closed Thread