TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Is this self-harm? - November 12th 2019, 08:55 PM

So I was in uni and we were talking about self-harm. I've always assumed self-harm were things like cutting, and done deliberately.

But I've been thinking about my own history.

I remember, when I was in school, and a boy asked me out (I was about 13/14 at the time) and I didn't feel comfortable declining, and I also didn't tell my parents (they were against me dating at that age)- so I ended up with a secret boyfriend (who also happened to live next door to me) that I didn't want to be with. This stressed me out a lot to the point where I was scratching behind my knees. I wasn't doing it deliberately, it was more like I felt an itch/urge to scratch behind my knee, so I did and then I could be doing it for a while and not realise and end up bleeding. But in that moment, it felt like it was easing the stress/anxiety? I also remember that I've often scratched in the past when I felt stressed or anxious and didn't feel able to talk about whatever was bothering me.

I'm glad to report that I don't do this anymore, or at least I haven't in a while, but it just got me thinking as I never considered it self-harm but then I can see it's a negative way of dealing with emotions?

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Is this self-harm? - November 13th 2019, 11:07 AM

I'm not sure how to classify this to be honest. I think it can be viewed as a form of self harm but it's more inadvertent.

I have a habit of picking skin. I do it to the point that I bleed and 8 do it when I'm stressed or anxious. I don't do it deliberately. I don't intend to make myself bleed but I do and it can be seen as self harm. I feel like there is probably a better term for inadvertent self harm but I've only recently realized I have this habit so I haven't been able to ask my therapists about it.

I'm glad you no longer do this and I apologize that I don't have a more concrete answer.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Is this self-harm? - November 13th 2019, 01:29 PM

If you did it deliberately then I think it probably is considered self-harm. I know everyone is different but I have urges to self-harm that are physical - you mentioned the urge to itch and it reminded me of that.

There are a lot of ways to self-harm, even the 'non-traditional' ways that people don't think about. I've done some things like that and still do sometimes.

It is good you no longer do this and perhaps thinking about your own history has been a good thing as well.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Is this self-harm? - November 13th 2019, 03:15 PM

I think it has more to do with intent, if you are meaning to hurt yourself by scratching then it is self-harm. If you are scratching due to anxiety or stress, then it's not self-harm. I am glad to hear you no longer do this, and I hope you are able to reach out if the coursework is beginning to trigger you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
gjoiiks Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,678, Level: 6 Points: 1,678, Level: 6 Points: 1,678, Level: 6

Re: Is this self-harm? - December 5th 2019, 05:14 AM

I have a habit of picking skin. I do it to the point that I bleed and 8 do it when I'm stressed or anxious. I don't do it deliberately. I don't intend to make myself bleed but I do and it can be seen as self harm. I feel like there is probably a better term for inadvertent self harm but I've only recently realized I have this habit so I haven't been able to ask my therapists about it.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Loo1ksee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,863, Level: 6 Points: 1,863, Level: 6 Points: 1,863, Level: 6

Re: Is this self-harm? - December 6th 2019, 06:18 AM

stress and anxiety harm is not the same as self-harm, If you are trying to harm yourself when you are calm, well this is a self-harm
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Is this self-harm? - December 6th 2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loo1ksee View Post
stress and anxiety harm is not the same as self-harm, If you are trying to harm yourself when you are calm, well this is a self-harm
Where did you come up with this conclusion? It's the complete opposite, please do your research. The very vast majority of people who engage in self harm are not calm; on the contrary, they're feeling anxious, stressed out, or are triggered by something such as recalling a traumatic experience.
Closed Thread