TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Soda_Voxel Offline
Doing my best
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Please call me Soda.
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 12,644, Level: 16 Points: 12,644, Level: 16 Points: 12,644, Level: 16

I scratched myself - April 5th 2022, 07:03 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

im fucking panicking so much i'm sorry if this is really poorly written. i scratched myself with a sharp object. it hurt a lot. it barely did anything but it still hurts. one of the scratches has a tiny speck of blood, and by tiny i mean tiny, like you can barely see it, but when i saw that tiny speck i almost threw up. i cant believe i did that whats wrong with me i dont care if it wont scar the guilt will be with me forever even if it barely did any damage im going to cry

It's enough to live a live with love until we die
Autism, Depression, Anxiety

Last edited by DeletedAccount71; April 6th 2022 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Edited to add prefix
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: I scratched myself - April 6th 2022, 12:35 AM

Hey Soda. Thank you for posting. I hope we can help you out.

I am sorry to hear you are struggling enough with painful emotions to engage in self-harm. Emotional suffering is hard to cope with, and sometimes we turn to self-harm to try and manage it. While I am glad you are not seriously injured, I am sorry you are feeling so much disgust and guilt for what you did. While these emotions exist for a reason, to deter us from engaging in behaviors we find wrong, hanging onto them doesn't serve us well, either, as they can cause our emotional pain to become even worse.

We all make mistakes. We all do things that hurt ourselves in some way or another. Some things just look more apparent than others. It's important to remember you did the best you could with the resources you had at the time, and to show yourself some grace for that. You were hurting, and you coped the best you knew how. You don't deserve to punish yourself for that. Instead, you can go forward knowing that you don't need to hurt yourself in this manner, and that it may be important to talk to someone about the feelings you are having that led you to do this, as well as finding other coping skills for dealing with difficult emotions.

Sometimes when physical harm is an urge, it can help to engage in other physical activities to relieve distress, like healthy exercise, or yoga, or making art, for example. Another common substitution for self-harm is to hold ice, or a frozen orange, until it hurts too much to do so. This creates sensations of "pain" without harming yourself, as well as cool your nervous system down, which relaxes the body on the inside.

Please remember, you are not a bad person for doing this, and you don't need to punish yourself. You are learning and growing, and that's okay. It's how life works. If you ever need us, feel free to reach out. We're here for you.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Soda_Voxel Offline
Doing my best
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Please call me Soda.
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 12,644, Level: 16 Points: 12,644, Level: 16 Points: 12,644, Level: 16

Re: I scratched myself - April 6th 2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversive View Post
Hey Soda. Thank you for posting. I hope we can help you out.

I am sorry to hear you are struggling enough with painful emotions to engage in self-harm. Emotional suffering is hard to cope with, and sometimes we turn to self-harm to try and manage it. While I am glad you are not seriously injured, I am sorry you are feeling so much disgust and guilt for what you did. While these emotions exist for a reason, to deter us from engaging in behaviors we find wrong, hanging onto them doesn't serve us well, either, as they can cause our emotional pain to become even worse.

We all make mistakes. We all do things that hurt ourselves in some way or another. Some things just look more apparent than others. It's important to remember you did the best you could with the resources you had at the time, and to show yourself some grace for that. You were hurting, and you coped the best you knew how. You don't deserve to punish yourself for that. Instead, you can go forward knowing that you don't need to hurt yourself in this manner, and that it may be important to talk to someone about the feelings you are having that led you to do this, as well as finding other coping skills for dealing with difficult emotions.

Sometimes when physical harm is an urge, it can help to engage in other physical activities to relieve distress, like healthy exercise, or yoga, or making art, for example. Another common substitution for self-harm is to hold ice, or a frozen orange, until it hurts too much to do so. This creates sensations of "pain" without harming yourself, as well as cool your nervous system down, which relaxes the body on the inside.

Please remember, you are not a bad person for doing this, and you don't need to punish yourself. You are learning and growing, and that's okay. It's how life works. If you ever need us, feel free to reach out. We're here for you.
Thank you very much. About 10-20 minutes after doing it I went downstairs and asked my mum for help. I was scared she would be mad at me, but she wasn't. She just comforted me and didn't get angry or overly upset. I still feel guilty about it, and various other emotions, but I feel a little better.

It's enough to live a live with love until we die
Autism, Depression, Anxiety
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: I scratched myself - April 6th 2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda_Voxel View Post

Thank you very much. About 10-20 minutes after doing it I went downstairs and asked my mum for help. I was scared she would be mad at me, but she wasn't. She just comforted me and didn't get angry or overly upset. I still feel guilty about it, and various other emotions, but I feel a little better.
I am glad to hear you feel a bit better, and I am glad to hear your mom was supportive. It's important to be able to rely on people in times of distress and it sounds like your mom was there for you during this time. I hope you feel you might be able to come to her in the future when you are having distressing emotions.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 108,978, Level: 47 Points: 108,978, Level: 47 Points: 108,978, Level: 47

Re: I scratched myself - April 6th 2022, 05:38 PM

Hello Soda,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this and hope that you will be okay soon. You did a wonderful job going up to your mother for help with this, it can be very hard sometimes to ask a parent or someone else for help with what we are going through and I am so glad that she was very helpful and kind to you. When we self harm after we can feel so many things and try not to put yourself down for doing this. Things happen and we will self harm, when you are having a hard time with this, next time try to find something to help you get your mind off of this for a while so that you are not thinking about it, going for a walk around your house or reading a book for a while or drawing or painting or writing or listening to music or watching movies or TV shows or calling someone or doing something else that you enjoy doing and hopefully this can help pick you up and you will feel a little bit better. I hope that you will be okay soon. to help you.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
Closed Thread