TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
flisk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,829, Level: 12 Points: 7,829, Level: 12 Points: 7,829, Level: 12

ADD and A's without medication? - July 3rd 2012, 06:27 AM

Point blank: There are a lot of posts about ADD here. I have ADD.

My case isn't too severe, and I didn't get a diagnosis until I was 12/13 when I was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa, OCD and depression. Prior to the diagnosis I had good grades and post diagnosis (and no medication) I still have good grades and am able to function without medication.

My coping mechanism is odd though... I have to constantly multitask to get anything done. Even typing this post I'm watching TV and doing a bit of studying. I can't concentrate on one specific task for too long or my mind starts to wander or I'll flat out get up and go do something else. It's a little odd but it works for me. That's what the doctor said anyway. That's not to say I don't struggle... test taking is still difficult for me (finals are a nightmare!) and I have academic accommodations for longer test times.

Just my coping mechanism. Anyone else have success of treating ADD without medication?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Points: 43,443, Level: 29 Points: 43,443, Level: 29 Points: 43,443, Level: 29

Re: ADD and A's without medication? - July 3rd 2012, 12:31 PM

I have ADD, but I haven't had any success treating it without medication. I have to take medication. When I'm off my medication, my mind starts to wander and I can't concentrate(just like you were saying). But, I do know of people who have ADD and don't take medication because their's is not as serious as other people. What they do is try to keep their mind concentrated on one thing or like you, they multitask.

Member Since 1/15/2012
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
flisk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,829, Level: 12 Points: 7,829, Level: 12 Points: 7,829, Level: 12

Re: ADD and A's without medication? - July 3rd 2012, 05:30 PM

I'm not saying in anyway that its always possible to treat ADD without medication... sometimes its necessary and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! Mostly just interested to see if anyone else uses multitasking to help their ADD!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Points: 43,443, Level: 29 Points: 43,443, Level: 29 Points: 43,443, Level: 29

Re: ADD and A's without medication? - July 3rd 2012, 06:02 PM

I know you didn't say it that way. I must of misworded my response; sorry about that. Whenever I'm not on my medication, I sometimes multitask.

Member Since 1/15/2012
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: ADD and A's without medication? - July 4th 2012, 03:45 AM

I have ADD too. I knew by the time I was in grade 10 but wasn't officially diagnosed until grade 11. I have struggled with depression a few times, but I am not clinically depressed. For the last 2 years I have taken meds on and off, but largely off. I usually take them cause I get stressed out and think it'll make what ever situation better, but they don't make such a big difference for me that I find it important long term. My ADD isn't THAT bad, I get my work done, my grades are decent, I just make goals and try to keep busy. Like I tend to get REALLY restless and REALLY bored quite easily. Like at a movie theatre I am better off not cleaning my purse out and organizing it while in the theatre.... I'll use my computer or read a book or knit while watching a movie. I tend to crack my fingers and stuff when talking to people, but aside from the fact that I tend to talk a bit to much and there are little signs to the fact that I am restless (I'll move my toes around instead of my fingers and I'd find it odd if people were looking at my feet) and that way people won't think it's weird if they realize I don't sit still for long, like one time my friend asked if I could make tea when I go to the kitchen, I was like "what makes you think I intend to go to the kitchen any time soon?" her response, well, apparently she doesn't see me NOT getting up to do something or other while the tv is playing something haha... But yeah, I am pretty goal oriented, keep a schedule, will officially have to make it more rigid though due to a stricter than usual training plan along with volunteering and school but yeah, I am fine off meds lol, sorry if that is a bit ranty
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
medic2013 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Amanda

Points: 8,225, Level: 13 Points: 8,225, Level: 13 Points: 8,225, Level: 13

Re: ADD and A's without medication? - July 5th 2012, 11:45 PM

I have to keep on my medication. I can't do anything without it. I go crazy. I can't keep my mind focused on what i need to. I get destracted really easy when i don't take it. I hate b/c it makes everything so much harder on me.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: ADD and A's without medication? - July 8th 2012, 02:29 PM

I think it depends on who you are too. I was 18 by the time I tried the meds, so I had spent 18 years NOT taking medications, so I learned how to cope with the easy-to-be-distractedness and stuff without letting it mess me up totally. I'm not saying it's easy. Just that it's possible. I found the meds would cause me a higher level of anxiety than normal and stuff, so I would rather not take them.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
medic2013 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Amanda

Points: 8,225, Level: 13 Points: 8,225, Level: 13 Points: 8,225, Level: 13

Re: ADD and A's without medication? - July 8th 2012, 04:43 PM

The medication seems to keep my anxitey under control along with the ADD. I go back to the dr auguest 9th and i will findout if i can try to come off of it when i finish school
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: ADD and A's without medication? - July 8th 2012, 08:25 PM

yeah, not for me, I get it worse. But I was also dealing with a lot of crap that had me feeling depressed and anxious a lot while I was consistently taking medications any how, i just felt like it was more likely to accelerate out of control more often into full blown break downs when I was on meds. Like I'd be doing what ever and would go for a drive to help calm me down but start crying any how and literally could stubble to get into my apartment and fully breakdown and I'd end up just lying on my couch or in my bed for the rest of the night not able to function.... It was cause I was just dealing with a lot though and was trying to hard to get it together and NOT let anyone see how badly I was hurting, and like I said, meds made the depressed/anxious moods worse
Closed Thread