TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I've been here a while

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Should I qualify for disability? - May 14th 2014, 12:50 PM

I plan to talk to my doctor about applying for disability before I turn 18 which is in just a few months, but I also wanted to know if anyone here thinks I'd even be able to qualify. So I have had 2 jobs in the past, both lasting approximately a month. The first I was fired from due to too many call ins and the second was a temp job where less than half of the employees were going to be hired on full time and again probably due to calling in too many times and having to leave work early, I didn't make the cut and was let go as my temp period had ended and I was not offered a part-time position. I have been diagnosed with JHS (Joint Hypermobility Syndrome) however upon a visit to the ER the doctor there said he suspected I had Hypermobile Type EDS (Ehler's Danlos Syndrome) instead. Basically either way, my joints are too loose and this causes my muscles to have to work harder just to keep me up. I'm on pain medication but it's not really enough and I can't hold a job because depending on the work, I can't work for very long. The first job was fast food and I couldn't handle being on my feet that long because it really put a lot of stress on my back. The second was a retail job which I loved dearly but I would come home sore, mainly my back, knees and feet. I even cried on a few occasions after work because my knees hurt so badly, and one time I finally got to sleep but the pain got worse and woke me up and I was crying and screaming from the pain.

TL;DR Lost my only two jobs due to absence and leaving early because of bad pain caused by diagnosed JHS or suspected EDS. Would this condition and my history possibly qualify me for disability since it does keep me from holding down a job?

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Should I qualify for disability? - May 16th 2014, 05:29 AM

It is possible that you would qualify for disability. When you go down and talk to them they will ask you a number of questions and ask you to give them the doctors who you go to names. That way they will be able to get a bunch of information from your doctors to determine if you qualify for disability. There is no way to tell until you go down and complete the process and even then there is a possibility that you will get denied the first time and have to submit an appeal.

I really hope that this helped. The process to get disability is a long one but if you really feel that you need it then you should definitely go for it and see what happens. I wish you the best of luck.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Should I qualify for disability? - May 16th 2014, 07:55 PM

Hi,

I think that you can attempt applying for disability. It will be a lengthy process but if you have proper documentation from your doctor and other information necessary you should be able to apply. The Social Security website should be helpful as well: click here.
I hope all goes well for you in applying.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
Closed Thread