TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Applying for disability due to mental health. - May 13th 2022, 12:47 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I talked to my medication prescriber yesterday and she recognized my job triggers me and I said that I think working in general is a trigger. She asked if I meant disabling and I'm like, "I don't know but I have no choice but to work."

I attempted suicide while at this job and it's an easy job with a flexible schedule. I worked at VS and it made me WANT to kill myself. I would actively self harm at work the two different occasions I worked with my dad, and when I was in high school I got an interview for a job and went to it but then decided I was too anxious to work.

Has anyone successfully gotten disability benefits in the US for mental health, and what did you go through to get it?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16

Re: Applying for disability due to mental health. - May 14th 2022, 11:09 AM

I honestly didn't have a hard time getting approved for SSDI. I pulled I think SSI as a kid, but was not told about it I don't recall. It took me becoming grown to be told I did used to get SSI as a kid. My parents did use it to buy me clothes and such, so it wasn't going directly to just benefit them. This maybe why it was easy for me.

Anyway I hear it's super hard for some to get SSDI approval and best bet maybe to try to get an attorney/lawyer who'd help you out. I think there are specialized ones for just SSI/SSDI benefits. Get as much documented stuff on your disability by whoever you see for it.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
HelpLINK Officer

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23

Re: Applying for disability due to mental health. - May 15th 2022, 04:44 PM

My mom applied for it in January due to after covid effects and she's still waiting on a response. She had to go see an actual disability doctor for an evaluation about 3 weeks ago and he told her she should hear something by the end of next month.

It can take a while for them to l determine and most times they deny you your first application and you have to appeal.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

Lead Moderator | HelpLINK Officer

(#4 (permalink)) Old
𓆉

Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Frankie
Pronouns: 𝕤𝕙𝕖/𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕪

Points: 1,979, Level: 6 Points: 1,979, Level: 6 Points: 1,979, Level: 6

Re: Applying for disability due to mental health. - May 15th 2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheek! View Post
I talked to my medication prescriber yesterday and she recognized my job triggers me and I said that I think working in general is a trigger. She asked if I meant disabling and I'm like, "I don't know but I have no choice but to work."

I attempted suicide while at this job and it's an easy job with a flexible schedule. I worked at VS and it made me WANT to kill myself. I would actively self harm at work the two different occasions I worked with my dad, and when I was in high school I got an interview for a job and went to it but then decided I was too anxious to work.

Has anyone successfully gotten disability benefits in the US for mental health, and what did you go through to get it?
I had not trouble, I got mine within a month, but I was a special case. I was in and out of the mental hospital 2-3 times a month for like a year. I was actually in the hospital when they talked to my grandma and understood I really needed it.

However I have heard that most people are denied at first and it’s good to get a lawyer who works specifically with people trying to get SSI. But I’m not sure grandma pretty much did it all for me. I hope your able to get it.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Rob Offline
Project Coordinator

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Rob
Pronouns: He/Him

Points: 101,226, Level: 45 Points: 101,226, Level: 45 Points: 101,226, Level: 45

Re: Applying for disability due to mental health. - May 16th 2022, 08:52 AM

I can't comment on US disability benefits system, but on the work front I would recommend trying to figure out which aspects of the job are causing you to feel this way. Is it certain people? Is it pressure? Is it the hours? Is it the tasks? One way you could do this is keep a trigger diary where you keep track of what happened immediately before you felt triggered, when it happened and who was involved. Once you know exactly which aspects of the job are causing you to feel this way, you might be able to explore alternative jobs which remove some or all of these trigger points. From what I can tell the job market is very good in most places right now so there's lots of alternative options you could explore.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Astro04 Offline
Community Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Luca

Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10

Re: Applying for disability due to mental health. - May 16th 2022, 01:04 PM

Well, if it is a pro of a mental disability, my smell is now amplified.
At least, something good I think...
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Re: Applying for disability due to mental health. - May 18th 2022, 12:51 AM

I was actually coming on here to say something similar to Rob. Figuring out what triggers you about the jobs you have/have had may really help you. Especially with how things have gone since the pandemic, the options for accommodations for those with disabilities are much greater in the sense that we now have hybrid/work-from-home, etc for most types of jobs making things a bit more accessible if you know what type of work you can and cannot do.

With that being said, I'm in Canada, but if it's anything like here - as long as you have enough documentation from doctors and other professionals the process may be long and may require an appeal depending on how disability works there, but with the right documentation mental health concerns are generally a cut and dry decision in this case.

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Applying for disability due to mental health. - May 18th 2022, 03:18 AM

A friend told me that you may need to have worked 5 jobs and have enough work credit to be eligible for SSI. I don’t know if I’ll be eligible. :/

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread