TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Points: 13,499, Level: 16 Points: 13,499, Level: 16 Points: 13,499, Level: 16

Sore Throat from Smoking Weed? - August 28th 2010, 01:56 AM

To begin, I don't want anyone preaching to me about the dangers of drug use. Thank you.

So I've heard it's common to get sore throats when you're not accustomed to smoking, but I'm becoming concerned at this point. Last Tuesday my friends and I were smoking, and it was around the 10th time I've ever smoked in my life. The joint had been passed around the large group of people only twice and my second hit was the last of it, so it felt like the only thing I inhaled was pure burning paper. My sore throat began developing less than an hour after, and it died down a bit yesterday, but I was yelling for a good bit of time today and now it's back full force, so much that I can barely talk. I'm not sure if I simply irritated my throat or really burnt it, but at what point should I decide to go see a doctor?

Waitin' for my ruca.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hollifire Offline
Smile; you're beautiful.
I've been here a while

Name: Holly

Points: 36,471, Level: 27 Points: 36,471, Level: 27 Points: 36,471, Level: 27

Re: Sore Throat from Smoking Weed? - August 28th 2010, 02:12 AM

I used to smoke weed on a regular basis, and I got sore throats a lot. Typically I always carried around gum & water with me to always keep my throat moistened. But each person is different. Maybe wait a few days and see if it gets better. In the meantime, I wouldn't smoke if I were you. If it's still there, or gets worse, I'd definitely go see your doctor. You can never be too safe. :]

PM VM

x See the trick is that you're never supposed to act on it
No matter how unbearable this misery gets x
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
RedJames Offline
Average Joe

Name: James

Points: 8,735, Level: 13 Points: 8,735, Level: 13 Points: 8,735, Level: 13

Re: Sore Throat from Smoking Weed? - August 28th 2010, 02:28 AM

I was a big time pot smoker when i was younger and got sore throats fairly often when there was too much involved, or i got the end bit and inhaled to hard so it didnt have that second to cool down before going down my throat. I'd give it another day or so and if it still hurts bad i would go see a doctor, and don't worry about telling them the truth, they really don't care, they are there just to make sure your ok.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Points: 18,336, Level: 19 Points: 18,336, Level: 19 Points: 18,336, Level: 19

Re: Sore Throat from Smoking Weed? - August 28th 2010, 02:39 AM

I'd suggest not smoking for at least a week to let it heal. I find if the joint is rolled with a rather large filter and you smoke the filter it will defiantly cause pain in your throat also some rolling papers are worse then others, The more thin they are the better.

Try not to talk and don't put any stress on it. You shouldn't need to see a doctor just lay off for a while, if the pain doesn't go away by Monday then go to the walk in clinic.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
mIssIng:nO Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 12,623, Level: 16 Points: 12,623, Level: 16 Points: 12,623, Level: 16

Re: Sore Throat from Smoking Weed? - August 28th 2010, 03:38 AM

if you inhaled alot of harsh smoke (big hits) its going to dry out your throat, drink water.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 51,232, Level: 32 Points: 51,232, Level: 32 Points: 51,232, Level: 32

Re: Sore Throat from Smoking Weed? - August 28th 2010, 09:20 AM

Hey there,

Sore throats and smoking generally come together. The best thing you can do for now is keep hydrated, use gum and stay away from the weed! If it's not better in a couple of days or you're worried give your doctor a call.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Marie.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
ForeverTheSickestKid
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jamie

Points: 9,447, Level: 14 Points: 9,447, Level: 14 Points: 9,447, Level: 14

Re: Sore Throat from Smoking Weed? - August 31st 2010, 11:14 AM

Any smoking can tend to give you a sore throat, although that with weed does seem to even more. It's probably completely fine, you just need to rest your throat a bit and let it recover. I remember having a sore throat a lot afterwards, and even coughing up blood from time to time, which just isn't cool? (:

It'll probably be fine in a couple of days if you keep it moistened with plenty of water, perhaps try some throat sweets and refrain from talking too much or straining your throat.

- ForeverTheSickestKid(: x
Closed Thread