TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Disponible Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,380, Level: 13 Points: 8,380, Level: 13 Points: 8,380, Level: 13

One-time bulimia? - January 30th 2011, 10:06 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi,

So, I sometimes crave unhealthy foods but I can generally quash the urges and concentrate on eating well. However, I want to eat a friend's really tasty (but really high-calorie) recipes all in one go and never do it again.

Would it be that unhealthy to just sick it all up afterwards? And never do that again? I'm not bulimic, I just don't want bad foods to mar my body's shape.

Thanks!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Points: 11,369, Level: 15 Points: 11,369, Level: 15 Points: 11,369, Level: 15

Re: One-time bulimia? - January 31st 2011, 03:35 AM

YES. YESYESYESYESYES.

Yes. It would.

This is the exact reasoning I have to talk myself out of every time I want to try pot, salvia, or LSD.

And just personally, speaking for myself, I think those three are healthier than bulimia.

Please, don't do it. So many people are trying to stop. Please don't even give it the chance to get a hold of you.

There's nothing wrong with craving horrendously unhealthy food or indulging once in a while. It's only human. We all err occasionally. We don't need to compensate for every little mistake we make.

In short... yes, it would be that bad. I don't advise it at all.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Points: 13,399, Level: 16 Points: 13,399, Level: 16 Points: 13,399, Level: 16

Re: One-time bulimia? - January 31st 2011, 04:35 AM

Think about what you're saying. It would DEFINATELY be unhealthy to binge and purge. No, it's not as unhealthy as bingeing and purging everyday would be but forcing yourself to throwup is NEVER a safe/healthy/advisesble thing to do

Just Keep Breathing
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
pacotaco Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,750, Level: 13 Points: 8,750, Level: 13 Points: 8,750, Level: 13

Re: One-time bulimia? - January 31st 2011, 05:05 AM

It all starts with one time. I told myself that i would do it once and never again. Here I am 1 year later and i still can't stop. From my personal experience I would say DON'T DO IT. Not even once.

Religion has NOTHING to do with who my God IS.

You are more than the choices that you've made
You are more than the sum of your past mistakes
You are more than the problems you create
You've been remade

(#5 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Re: One-time bulimia? - January 31st 2011, 07:01 AM

No please don't do that. You will do it once, then think...oh thats okay I can just do that everytime I overeat. And that is certainly a very unhealthy thing to do. Induced vomiting can damage the esophagus and if you vomit too many times it can burst and this can kill you.
More importantly you are leading yourself into a life of an eating disorder, and this really...SUCKS! I think that is an appropriate word to use! Its absolutely horrible and you do not ever want one.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Disponible Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,380, Level: 13 Points: 8,380, Level: 13 Points: 8,380, Level: 13

Re: One-time bulimia? - January 31st 2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma01 View Post
No please don't do that. You will do it once, then think...oh thats okay I can just do that everytime I overeat. And that is certainly a very unhealthy thing to do. Induced vomiting can damage the esophagus and if you vomit too many times it can burst and this can kill you.
More importantly you are leading yourself into a life of an eating disorder, and this really...SUCKS! I think that is an appropriate word to use! Its absolutely horrible and you do not ever want one.
But that's the point: it's a one-time thing. I never over-eat anyway.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jovial. Offline
Skittles Minion.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Trish

Points: 20,518, Level: 20 Points: 20,518, Level: 20 Points: 20,518, Level: 20

Re: One-time bulimia? - January 31st 2011, 01:17 PM

Hey there:

There is a reason all of us are telling you not to this just once, Most of us that are responding to you have been there done that, and now have an eating disorder (Including me). You do not want to do this to yourself. It all starts with just once, then you do it more often no matter how many times you tell yourself you will never do it again, you will. I don't want you to think that I do not have faith in you because I do, but just do not do this too yourself. Please do not get yourself in this mess, you do not want it. Eating disorders are so hard to deal with, and live with. Nobody wants to have them. Trust us all on this matter, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not do this!

~Trish
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: One-time bulimia? - January 31st 2011, 01:17 PM

I agree with Emma, it might start out as a one time thing but it could always escalate from that. After you've done it once it's a lot easier to justify it to yourself and before you know it you're doing it a whole lot more.

I don't have any experience with eating disorders but I know several people who just started of self harming with a one time thing and as far as I know it's not just stayed that way.
Closed Thread