TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerrr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,625, Level: 13 Points: 8,625, Level: 13 Points: 8,625, Level: 13

Is going to the police really always the best thing to do after rape? - May 31st 2011, 04:49 PM

I was raped over a year ago. I was so drunk i hardly remembered it. And i never went to the police, as SUCH a small number men in rape cases get convicted that i didnt really see the point of putting myself through that for nothing. Plus there were other factors in it like bringing my friends into it to testify. Plus because i was so drunk i often wonder if i had encouraged it, i do remember saying no a couple of times and trying to get him to stop, but i have massive gaps in my memory.

Point is, is it always best to go to the police? Or in some cases is it better to just focus on moving on?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
**Theresa** Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,676, Level: 15 Points: 11,676, Level: 15 Points: 11,676, Level: 15

Re: Is going to the police really always the best thing to do after rape? - May 31st 2011, 07:44 PM

yes you should because you said no and that is enough to say that you didnt want him doing what he was doing you still have a case
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30

Re: Is going to the police really always the best thing to do after rape? - June 1st 2011, 02:53 AM

Hey,

I believe that going to the police is a very good idea in cases where you where either raped/abused or you believe that you may have been raped/abused. If you are unsure, the police will investigate the case for you and find out the truth. It's their job to do things like that. Even though not all rapists get convicted, it is important to get as many of them convicted as possible so that they can't rape anyone else. I am a huge advocate of people going to the police after rape/abuse/possible rape/possible abuse.

Take care,
Kitty.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Points: 14,618, Level: 17 Points: 14,618, Level: 17 Points: 14,618, Level: 17

Re: Is going to the police really always the best thing to do after rape? - June 1st 2011, 02:55 AM

I would say yes. If not for yourself, then for someone who may be unlucky enough to become the next victim.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Points: 24,469, Level: 22 Points: 24,469, Level: 22 Points: 24,469, Level: 22

Re: Is going to the police really always the best thing to do after rape? - June 1st 2011, 06:07 AM

Hey-

I'm actually just dealing with this and trying to decide a lot of these questions for myself.

The best advice I've gotten, is that it brings closure or something. Like, at least I did something? I have not done something before in the past, and the result wasn't fantastic, so I figured I'd try this way.

Not many people do get convicted. And it's a long process. Another thing I've noticed, is you have to make sure that it's not emotionally going to hurt you more going through the process than the rape itself. I was actually told by a victims advocate that "You will talk to more people than you've ever talked to about personal things in your life".

But, at the end of the day, I say it's the best option. But, sometimes there may be exceptions, but the risk is always worth it I think.

And, literally like, I was drunk when things happened last weekend, and I DID encourage it sometimes when I was intoxicated, but before that I had said no. Legally, you can not consent to sex when you are intoxicated, so it is illegal. It still hurts, and it's still not okay for someone to take advantage of you.

Let me know if you ever need anything. =)
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: donna

Points: 8,173, Level: 13 Points: 8,173, Level: 13 Points: 8,173, Level: 13

Re: Is going to the police really always the best thing to do after rape? - June 1st 2011, 01:35 PM

I think you should. Even if you are ok to put it behind you and move on, you might regret your decision later and want to know exactly what happened. By alerting the police it could strengthen someone else'e case if he did it again and they also reported it. Also if you are able to have him convicted it sends out the message that it isn't ok to do that to someone.
Closed Thread