TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JellyBean4986 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Leenie beanie :)

Points: 8,703, Level: 13 Points: 8,703, Level: 13 Points: 8,703, Level: 13

Trauma work :( - October 26th 2011, 06:03 PM

Things are finnally looking up in my life. I've been really stable for the last six monthes or so, I haven't been suicidal or hurting myself. so now my therapist wants to do trauma work. It scares me so much. I know to fully heal I need to do it, but I just hate how it always comes back and ruins my life over and over again. I don't want things to get bad again, and I'm so afraid they will. I have a boyfriend now and everything. I don't want to tell him what happened to me when I was younger. I feel so safe with him, and I don't want that to change.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: Trauma work :( - October 26th 2011, 06:19 PM

Did your therapist use the term 'Trauma work'? If he did, *Smack*. Who wouldn't be terrified of doing THAT?!

Listen, it's not 'Trauma work', it's therapy. What happened (past tense!) is what therapy is all about. The fact that it's really painful or really specific doesn't change much! Same process, same person, same outcome. You've been doing well for 6 months (yay!), that will continue.

Therapy is a process of exploration and resolution, and it's also a process of shared control. So, whatever the work or whoever guides the discussion, you still have the option to say no and talk about the other issues and events and stuff in your life. If it get's too uncomfortable or scary, just talk about that, and maybe step away from that subject for a bit. It'll still be there when you're feeling more comfortable.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
Closed Thread