TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gabbydeben Offline
Gabby D.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gabby D.

Points: 6,958, Level: 12 Points: 6,958, Level: 12 Points: 6,958, Level: 12

Question Social Anxiety? - June 3rd 2014, 10:36 PM

Hi everyone!
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this in but feel free to move it if you think it belongs somewhere else
Okay, so I'm 15 and finishing my sophomore year of high school. And I think I might have social anxiety, but I'm not really sure. It's weird because when I'm around people I don't know/don't know anything about, I can strike up conversation really easily and make friends. I'm in my school's "Model Congress" which is basically debate team, and we travel to conferences where I meet tons of new people my age and I have no problem talking to them. But when I'm around people in school that I know are "popular" or well liked, or have a school wide, I get really nervous and awkward, talk too fast, etc. Also, I'm frequently told that I look "uncomfortable" or "uneasy" or "nervous" even when I don't feel like that at all. People are constantly telling me to "relax" or "have more confidence" etc. I feel as though my body language is my main problem, and it's keeping me from being the confident, well known, and well liked person that I want to be. One more thing: I have absolutely no problem arguing why we should stop offshore drilling in front of a bunch of people my age that I don't know (Model Congress), but the thought of presenting a PowerPoint in front of my French class gives me a ton of anxiety. If anyone has some advice for me, I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much! <3
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20

Re: Social Anxiety? - June 4th 2014, 12:09 AM

Hey Gabby,

First of all, welcome to Teenhelp! I can totally relate to this because I am personally the same too where I can strike up conversations with random people that I've never met before but am too scared to talk to people at school. Thinking and encountering this aspect for a long time, its mostly due to our self-consciousness of being judged by our peers. Even though there are people that think the opposite, its easier to talk to others whom we've never met because they don't know us and not likely to judge you as much as a peer you went to school with your entire life.

One of the ways to overcome social anxiety is putting yourself out there and socializing more often with others. As for you, I think debate is a wonderful extracurricular activity in helping you overcome social anxiety. When it comes to class presentations, everyone gets a bit nervous but you just gotta relax and pretend that your audience is random strangers. For me, that personally works really well. Just make yourself comfortable and don't pay too much attention to your audience; have everything you want to say prepared and ready to go when its time.

I hope this helps and wish you all the very best! If you ever need anything, feel free to PM/VM me anytime.

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#3 (permalink)) Old
gabbydeben Offline
Gabby D.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gabby D.

Points: 6,958, Level: 12 Points: 6,958, Level: 12 Points: 6,958, Level: 12

Re: Social Anxiety? - June 6th 2014, 12:43 AM

Thank you so much for replying! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that feels like this. Yeah, I've been trying to put my self out there a little bit more so we'll see how that goes...
Closed Thread