TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BookDragon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Caitlyn

Points: 6,310, Level: 11 Points: 6,310, Level: 11 Points: 6,310, Level: 11

Question How to find the right doctor? - November 9th 2015, 04:37 AM

Well hi there.
I'm 19 years old and am still living at home. I have several mental health problems (PTSD, depression, anxiety, ADHD, Borderline Personality Disorder; I have been formally diagnosed by a doctor as a teenager.) and I want to go find a doctor.

The issue is this: I've never made a doctor's appointment in my life. I've run out of medication and have finally realized if I'm going to get better, I need to take control of my life, starting with my medicine and mental health.

I don't know how to go about finding a doctor, or how to be discrete about it, because I really do not want my parents involved in my healthcare anymore. They are the root of a big chunk of my problems. I'm tired of living under their thumb; the only way I can take back control of my life is if I can leave-the first step is taking care of the essentials.

How do I find/choose a doctor? I have medical insurance through my place of work but I'm really not sure where to go from here.

Sorry if this is a silly question, I have a lot of them-my parents never taught me the important things I would need to know as an adult.

My body may be a temple but I am the god to whom it is devoted. Do not presume to tell me how I may decorate my altar.

repeat after me: i can and i will. i may not get there right away. i may fail multiple or even hundreds of times. but i am going to pick myself back up and eventually get to the point i want to be at in my life.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59

Re: How to find the right doctor? - November 9th 2015, 04:46 AM

Hey there,

I think that it is great you would like to find a doctor and continue getting help. That is a huge step in the right direction and you should be proud.

If you have ever seen a doctor in the past, you could always call them and ask for a referral. They shouldn't ask too many questions, and if so you can explain that you have to go with someone who takes your insurance. They shouldn't be offended or anything like that, though!

You can also call your insurance company and see if they can give you a list of people who they cover. That way you know for sure that the doctor will take your insurance, since you'll have gotten their name directly from the insurance.

You can also do a Google search of doctors in your area, and see who comes up. Then call them and make sure they take your insurance or even set an appointment up.

You can research some of the doctors online and see what you can find on them, if anything, as well, such as reviews.

Remember too that sometimes it takes more than one try to find the right doctor for you, and that is okay! Not everyone is compatible with one another. What may work for one person may not work for another, and that is fine. Just keep trying and you will find the one for you!

I'd also tell whoever you get in contact with to call you directly about anything related to this matter, and make sure they have your number.

Best of luck!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BookDragon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Caitlyn

Points: 6,310, Level: 11 Points: 6,310, Level: 11 Points: 6,310, Level: 11

Re: How to find the right doctor? - November 9th 2015, 04:51 AM

Thank you so much for replying!

I'm just a little out of my element because I moved cross country two years ago (New Mexico to Florida) and the doctor I saw for years is back there. I never tried finding another doctor because I (foolishly) thought I didn't need my medication. What a mistake that was.

My body may be a temple but I am the god to whom it is devoted. Do not presume to tell me how I may decorate my altar.

repeat after me: i can and i will. i may not get there right away. i may fail multiple or even hundreds of times. but i am going to pick myself back up and eventually get to the point i want to be at in my life.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: How to find the right doctor? - November 9th 2015, 05:39 AM

Your best option would be to start with your insurance company's website. They should have plan-specific lists of providers they cover it's usually an interactive tool where you enter all of your information or a list. Just make sure you select the right plan. If there's an option to login to or create your account, that might make it easier. You can call the insurance company for this, but chances are that's where they'll send you, or you'll be on hold forever.

Once you find a doctor near you who is accepting new patients (this will probably be shown on the website or you can ask when you call), you call and say something along the lines of "I'd like to make an appointment with (name of doctor) as a new patient. It can take awhile (like months) to get your first appointment though so sooner is better than later.

If you are completely out of your medication, try calling a pharmacy near you (it might be easier if it's the same pharmacy you used before), call them and explain the situation and they should be able to fill it for you. If your prescription is expired, the pharmacy may contact your old doctor for you or you can try to. They should be willing to renew the prescription for you and then send it to a pharmacy close to you. When you call to make an appointment with a new doctor, explain that you're out of medication they might either be able to do something for you, or help you figure out a way to get some until they can see you.

Also, your parents don't have to be involved since you're an adult and not covered on their insurance, but you will need to provide an emergency contact, so consider who you will want to use for that.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: How to find the right doctor? - November 10th 2015, 11:40 AM

Katie and Dez have given you all of the advice that I was thinking of.
I just want to add that in regards to your parents being involved, you can choose how involved they are. When I switched to a new doctor, I was able to check off what I wanted people knowing (ie. appointment cancelations, emergencies Etc.)
Also, they will call you directly in regards to your information and even if by some strange circumstance they accidentally called your parents, they would not be able to speak on your behalf because of your age. The likelihood in that happening though is slim considering it would only possibly happen if you gave them your parents contact information.
If you have a friend in the area you trust or another close relative, ask them if they would be willing to be your emergency contact.
It is better to navigate the website for your insurance company because calling usually goes no where quickly (for instance I was on hold the other day and told I could be called back in 55 minutes).
If navigating the website does not go well, maybe you could schedule a call back with them.
Hope this helps and that you get the support you need.
You are strong for realizing that you need help and being proactive by taking the necessary steps.
Keep us updated if you would like.
Closed Thread