TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Food and gut functioning - January 31st 2022, 11:56 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've been open about the fact I have an eating disorder over the years, and I've noticed that for a long time, it's affected the functioning of my gut bacteria, presumably, as it really has a significant influence on my bathroom habits.

My diet has changed significantly in the last few months. For me, there is a very difficult pattern with "safe" foods. It's not so much about weight control as it is I just get to where I can't eat certain foods without feeling sick. I was doing better for a while, and had more regular bathroom habits, but now that I am back to mostly blander foods it's starting to upset things again.

I am planning to work with a dietitian as soon as my insurance allows, and I am also going to get a prescription from my PCP that might help me be able to stomach more varied foods again, since that helped a little in the past. But it's also very inconvenient, and I'd like to know if there is a way to make it better on my own.

I don't want to necessarily take medication, and it's also complicated by the fact my gallbladder was removed five years ago, too. Does anyone have any suggestions that have worked for them?

Last edited by DeletedAccount71; February 2nd 2022 at 04:32 PM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Re: Food and gut functioning - January 31st 2022, 09:52 PM

Hi Eli,
This is very common. While I do not have personal experience with an ED, I have had IBS since I was 6 so I completely understand everything you're saying about "safe foods."

One of the main things that is impacted by any sort of dysfunction of our gut is the microbiome, which is why probiotics are such a common recommendation. If you aren't already doing so, they are a very safe, effective, over-the-counter supplement that many people find beneficial. You can ask the pharmacist at your local drug store for a recommendation on brand/type. Alternatively, you can add more pro/pre-biotic foods to your diet so fermented foods like kimchi, sourdough, and kombucha, but also oats, bananas, berries, legumes/beans/peas, garlic, yogurt/kefir.

You may want to also pay attention to the foods that end up triggering you, so keep a "diet diary" and see if you're just reacting to the same or similar foods over time. Many people with ED-related gut issues end up with IBS or IBS-like conditions and seeing if you're reacting to common triggers can be helpful. There are classifications of common triggers for IBS called FODMAPs but especially as someone with a history of EDs, I would not recommend going down that road without the support of a dietician/PCP - for now just seeing of you react to the same/similar types of foods may be beneficial.

Those things aside, I think you need to be careful of many of the other common "remedies" for gut-related issues as many involve dietary changes that may be triggering for you and should only be done with the support of your healthcare team.

Oh, and LOTS of water.

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread