TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
amani Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amani

Points: 8,377, Level: 13 Points: 8,377, Level: 13 Points: 8,377, Level: 13

Unhappy Alcohol Abuse - November 19th 2010, 01:56 PM

Hi, I feel sort of weird talking about this just because I was in denial for so long. But, here it goes-
I started drinking just when summer was ending. The thing is, the stuff I drink is about as strong as alcohol can get. It tastes disgusting, and you are NOT supposed to chug it. Which, I do. & I started drinking when I was very upset over a breakup with a guy that I dated for two years. Which may not seem like a long time, but it sure felt like it. I NEVER used to drink, or smoke (cigarettes or hash/marijuana). I suppose I started a week after the break up. My older brother introduced me to marijuana & hash, and the alcohol came later. When the break-up started to hit me hard, which was when I came back from summer vacation and realized things were REALLY over- I started drinking. & of course I'd make a drunken fool out of myself and call him crying. The drinking has gotten considerably worse, however I don't call him anymore and I'm trying to move on. I started dating someone else and he really really cares about me which makes me feel considerably lucky to have found someone who really does care. However, of course he's very dead set about me quitting drinking, he's noticing things are starting to get worse. Last night I went to a party and drank so much that I fell and ended up bruised and bleeding. I made a complete fool out of myself, but I don't know why I still feel like it isn't a big deal, and that I shouldn't quit? I mean for so long I was in complete denial and didn't think I had a problem, but everyone is starting to notice it getting worse. & someone asked me if what happened last night was a "wake up call", and honestly I don't think it is. As bad as it was, but I honestly want to quit but don't at the same time. & I'm stuck because I don't know what to do, or even where to start.
help?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I don't bite :)
Average Joe

Name: Lucy

Points: 10,513, Level: 14 Points: 10,513, Level: 14 Points: 10,513, Level: 14

Re: Alcohol Abuse - November 19th 2010, 06:23 PM

well, don't want to give britain a bad name or anything, but the vast majority of teanagers basically get wasted every weekend, not because they have a problem, but because its fun. were young, naive, and these are the years to have fun. In my opinion anyway. You don't HAVE to stop, but do think about your health in the long term, its not goooddd swigging vodka every weekend , cough like some of us do *blushes* lol. i try not to, butttt why not!

yeah sorry, im not being much help, but i don't see much of a problem, its very unlikely your addicted, do you feel you could stop of you wanted? - if not, then it is apparent you have a problem, and should seek some help.

If you feel in control of it then by all means carry on with your life however you want
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Alcohol Abuse - November 20th 2010, 03:15 AM

In order to quit, your going to have to want to 100%. Perhaps even though you are with a new guy who really cares about you, you are still a little torn up about your break up? To cope with those kinds of things, you don't need alcohol. You need to tell yourself that. Think about the consequences that drinking like that has. For example, when you were bleeding and bruised. I can fully understand why your new boyfriend is worried about you. If you ever find yourself grieving over what has happened, I would go spend some time with your new guy to help you get through it. The pain will fade away eventually. Best of luck

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Charisma Offline
Charismatic Charisma
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Charisma

Points: 9,467, Level: 14 Points: 9,467, Level: 14 Points: 9,467, Level: 14

Re: Alcohol Abuse - November 22nd 2010, 11:11 AM

I used to be the same way - drinking because of emotions. I suggest taking out your emotions in a better, safer way. Punching a punching bag when your angry, sad, is a good example.

Getting over alcohol is hard, and you'll need support. It seems you have some already with your new boyfriend. Talk to him, tell him you want to quit, but it's hard for you because you don't feel the need to. (If you didn't want to, you wouldn't have cared to post this.) Maybe he can possibly encourage you, or if it's the case, possibly help you get professionals to help you as well. I wish you good luck, PM me if you need.

Closed Thread