TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered

Edit avatar

paying rent - November 10th 2021, 07:24 PM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]My parents are low income and I am soon to be 16, I'm not in education but am studying towards going to college. I will be recieving disability living allowance of about £300 a month, my parents get about the same each in carers allowance even though they do no more than any other parent would for me. and out of my £300 I have to pay for all of my food, hygiene products, sanitary towels, travel etc. On top of that they want me to pay towards the internet that I use that they currently pay for, electric as it's expensive, water etc. I've got no idea if the money is even meant to go towards paying for those things or if my parents are required to pay out of their own pocket. It does state on the government website that the disability living allowance is for the extra costs of looking after a disabled child. They also want me to save some of it, what a joke?[/size][/color][/font]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: paying rent - November 14th 2021, 11:01 AM

From what I understand, money received from DLA is meant to go towards the costs of your care. However, this would depend on the severity of the disability. The more disabled you are considered to be, the more money you are set to receive. The money is intended to go towards the cost of living. Food, travel,
education costs, and other bills. As you live with your parents, you're too young to be paying for more 'adult' bills such as gas, electricity, council tax, and so on. However, this can be paid to your parents if you agree to do so.

The money your parents receive as part of carers allowance is for just that, care. They are assigned as your legal carer because you have a disability. The money they receive is to help cover the costs of taking care of you, and to help look after themselves because they may not, or simply cannot do certain jobs, if any at all while they're caring for you.

Many years ago my grandmother had a fall and broke her ankle. My mum was provided Carer's Allowance at a high rate of pay because she physically couldn't leave the house since my grandmother was bound to a wheelchair. Thus, she couldn't have a job as she was caring for her full time. The money she received went towards food, gas, water, electricity, and anything else she needed to help her whilst looking after my nan.

This applies to your parents. Depending on the severity of your disability, means that the money your parents' money is meant to help cover their living costs.

Certain things such as the internet are something I would say are to be a mutually agreed upon payment. I can understand that they may want you to pay towards things, but you already do pay for a good portion of your own living with the money the government has given to you.

I would discuss with your parents and see if you can work out some finances that are mutually agreed upon by everyone. I've been in a situation where I've been provided an allowance and ended up with no money for myself. It isn't nice. Definitely discuss with them about working out the household finances better because asking you to pay for things and contribute is one thing, but it needs to be discussed and financially organised properly.
Closed Thread