TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
Rate Article
How to make hot cocoa cookies
by TeenHelp January 30th 2021, 01:11 PM

How to make hot cocoa cookies
By Cassie (cynefin)

For a few months, I had been thinking about making hot chocolate cookies. I wasn't sure how to go about it, but I did know I wanted to use hot chocolate packets in the cookie dough. When I got the time, I looked at recipes and decided to give it a try.

I halved the recipe to make sure I liked them. Plus, it was late and I didn't want to be stuck with a lot of dough. These cookies have a dry dough and I was nervous up until the very end. I took them out, finished them, and let them cool. They taste pretty good! Hot Chocolate Day is at the end of January and I wanted to share this with you all. Please note this isn't my recipe. You can find it here.

To make these cookies, you will need the following:
  • 1 cup (225g) of softened butter
  • 1 cup (200g) of sugar
  • 2/3 cup (135g) of brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 cups (420g) of flour
  • 4 packets of hot chocolate mix
  • 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp (5g) salt
  • 2 tsp (10g baking powder
  • 1 cup (150g) chocolate chips
  • 1 cup (50g) marshmallows

Notes:
  • Do not use sugar free or reduced calorie hot chocolate packets. The cookies do not turn out the same. Milk, dark, or marshmallow hot chocolate work fine.
  • This recipe calls for dried marshmallows. I only had the dried ones that came in the packets, so I used them. Dried ones can be hard to come by. You can cut marshmallows and leave them out over night to dry, or you can add regular marshmallows to the cookie at the end, like I did.
  • You can add some cocoa powder if you want the cookies to be a bit darker.

First, take out the butter and set it on the counter to let it soften. If you weren't able to let it soften earlier, put it in the microwave for a few seconds. Put the butter and sugars in a large bowl. Then add the eggs, vanilla extract and hot chocolate mix into the bowl. Beat until fluffy.

Next, add the other dry ingredients together in a second bowl. You'll want to combine the flour, salt, and baking powder next. Combine this with your mixture from above and then add the chocolate chips. Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.

After chilling, add your dried marshmallows into the mix. Know that this dough is dry, even crumbly. That is what made me nervous. Scoop the dough out and form it into little cookies. Line your baking sheet and bake at 350°F (180°C) for 9-11 minutes or until the edges are set. The tops of mine began to crackle a bit, which is when I took them out.

While the cookies are still hot, gently press in your small (or one large) marshmallows into the top of the cookies. These will begin melting into the cookies. Once they're cool, give them a try and store them in an airtight container.

[photos by cynefin]
Views 440 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments