TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie6482 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,340, Level: 11 Points: 6,340, Level: 11 Points: 6,340, Level: 11

Question Moving out-senior in high school - August 24th 2013, 08:53 PM

I will be a senior in high school this year. I am planning to graduate at semester as it is right before my birthday and I will be 18. That way, I have enough time to save by January, and enough time to plan. A 1 br apartment is anywhere from 400-500. 2 bedrooms can go up to 600. My job right now pays minimum wage. Once school starts I will be working 4-5 hours 3 nights a week, plus 8 hours Saturday, and 8 Sunday. Min wage is 7.25 by the way. When I graduate I plan on getting a second job, plus extending my hours, to be able to afford everything, as I will probably only have the first couple months of rent. How much should I save for everything? I will not have a car, I plan on getting apartments near my job. So I'll walk. Can someone give me an outline of what I need to do? What I need to think about? And don't tell me that I'm being dumb, or should think this through more. That's why im asking this, so I can figure out how to do this.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Moving out-senior in high school - August 27th 2013, 06:27 AM

What you aren't taking into account here is that you don't have to just make sure you can pay the rent every month, but you also have to pay for items you'll need such as toiletries and food. That can be even more expensive than rent. Not to mention you'll need to buy things such as kitchen supplies and furniture before you move. Unless your parents will help you with that, I don't think it's going to be do-able with a minimum wage job.
I'm not trying to be harsh, but it's definitely not all that practicable since you can't work full time due to school. Could you get a roommate or two? That could help cut costs down.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16

Re: Moving out-senior in high school - August 27th 2013, 07:51 AM

As stated above, when you move into your own 'place'. You don't just have rent but all the essentials of living. Food, furniture, appliances, internet (if you decide to have internet), tele (if you decide to have Television), Phone (If you decide to have a home phone and/or cell phone.), You also have to pay any other bills the apartment has besides the actual rent, (I.E. Electric, heating, water, etc.)

You also have to make sure you can get an apartment, many people will not rent out to 18 year olds unless they have a co-signer of someone older. Plus, most apartments require a security deposit to first rent it out.

When I first moved out and got a apartment this was the cost:

$500 - First month rent
$650 - Security Deposit
$120 - Electric bill / Utilities
$98.42 - Direct TV (TV / Internet)
$58 - Phone
$450 - Groceries (For an entire month.)
$200 - Car insurance Bill
$100 - Gas
$45 - Cell phone bill

For a grand total of the month of, $2,421.42. Now, after the first month, you don't have to pay the security deposit, maybe you budget your groceries and gas a bit more. (In your case, you said you will not be owning a car so there is at least $300 also you don't have to pay out.)

Needless to say, unless you are working 50+ hours a week at mim. wage, it will be rather frustrating to rent an apartment by yourself, as stated, you should see about getting a room mate or two.

Hope this helped.

Closed Thread