TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TwistofFate_07 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ashley

Points: 13,080, Level: 16 Points: 13,080, Level: 16 Points: 13,080, Level: 16

scared of the fire alarm at my school - May 13th 2015, 11:36 AM

So I'm scared of the fire alarm at my school. Like the thought of it going off scares me. I scared of loud noises and fire alarms are one of them. Well not all loud noises but fire alarms definitely. I know that might sound crazy since we practice this drill every month but it still scares me because its loud.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
xyzman Offline
wolfboy
Junior TeenHelper

Name: call me DK

Points: 12,230, Level: 16 Points: 12,230, Level: 16 Points: 12,230, Level: 16

Re: scared of the fire alarm at my school - May 13th 2015, 04:29 PM

That's fairly normal I would think. And truly I get a little scared of sirens and alarms and that sort of stuff all the time. Even when its a drill or not directed at me or any thing bad. Where I live there a siren that goes off first Saturday of every month for a drill (its a bad weather siren thing) and it can be 75 out and not a cloud in the sky and it still makes me anxious and all i have been living with the stooped thing for yeas and it still gets me so don't sweet it to much and if you want talk to a professional I'm sheer that can help you get over it if that's what you want

Hope I could help!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lemon. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lemon.

Points: 5,725, Level: 11 Points: 5,725, Level: 11 Points: 5,725, Level: 11

Re: scared of the fire alarm at my school - May 14th 2015, 12:40 PM

Hey there,

Fire alarms are terrifying, whether you're expecting it or not. Loud noises tends to mean panic and when you're in an enclosed space like a school there's nowhere you can go to escape. Is it the noise that makes you anxious or do you relate something to the noise? When it goes off do you know what to do and are you able to do it? Fire alarms, while scary, are necessary. Have you tried telling your teachers that you might need some extra support during the alarms to know that you are safe? People are there to take care of you and they can help you find healthy ways to manage your anxiety.

Please take care.

“You always look so cool,
like no matter what happens, it’s got nothing to do with you,
but you’re not really like that.
In your own way, you’re out there fighting as hard as you can,
even if other people can’t tell by looking at you.”
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: scared of the fire alarm at my school - May 24th 2015, 07:51 PM

I was always the same and knew a lot of people who were. I hate fire alarms and when ambulances go by with their alarms on etc. Like said I think it's fairly normal and I definitely wouldn't say you are crazy for it. But like Sorry said, maybe tell you school and ask them if you could have some support during this time. Even if it's a class buddy who you can pair up with in these time so you aren't alone etc.

Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Points: 26,931, Level: 23 Points: 26,931, Level: 23 Points: 26,931, Level: 23

Re: scared of the fire alarm at my school - May 24th 2015, 11:16 PM

I can completely relate to this. My university halls test the fire alarms every wednesday morning for around half an hour and it's awful.

You could perhaps talk to the schools student support team so they can give you a heads up in advance so you know when the alarm will sound and to help you prepare. It might be less of a shock that way. They could also let staff know so they can check on you and help you to feel more at ease.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Points: 20,821, Level: 20 Points: 20,821, Level: 20 Points: 20,821, Level: 20

Re: scared of the fire alarm at my school - May 25th 2015, 12:58 AM

Hey there,

We're all afraid of something, and loud noises is a fairly common one. To be sure, fire alarms are definitely startling (and for good reason - you wouldn't want to have them be something people don't notice or brush off). Other than being jarred initially (and plugging my ears when I walk past them), I don't normally have much of a reaction to them. However, I'm sure you're far from the only one, Ashley

How much of an ongoing issue is this for you? If you are regularly worried that a fire alarm is going to go off and it's a distraction or a cause of concern for you, this is something to get help with.There are ways that you can be supported with this kind of thing so it doesn't bother you so much. The biggest one would probably be facing your fear. I am not sure how they could do that considering pulling an actual alarm would be a disruption to everything else, but they could probably show you videos or play audio clips to get you more used to the sound and help you feel more confident about dealing with it.

Good luck with everything, and I hope you feel better. Just don't let this make you feel ashamed - it's okay

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17
Closed Thread