TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount88

Edit avatar

college - September 2nd 2015, 07:43 AM

I leave for college in 23 hours and I'm freaking out. I'm managing to keep a semi calm face but I'm quietly terrified. If anyone could give some advice on things or suggestions for not losing my mind worrying it would be greatly appreciated.

top things worrying me - any advice on any of these would he so helpful:
-moving into the dorm
-classes
-getting a job
-being around people near 24/7
-leaving my mom at home alone with my dad
-not falling apart

Sorry if I'm not being clear or making sense. Kind of just looking for advice in starting college; have never done well with big changes.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: college - September 2nd 2015, 01:02 PM

Moving into the dorm is a bit scary your first time around. At least here they helped new freshmen move in, but your school may not. I'd say that it's likely that if you have a lot of stuff you'll need to make multiple trips, but it is important to be organized regardless. Also remember that you have limited space in your dorm, so you may discover that there are some things that you just can't fit into the room. Talk to your roommate about things that both of you are bringing so that way you don't double up and waste more space. You'll meet some pretty cool people in the dorms to be honest, and they'll not bother you if you don't want them to either.

As far as classes go, it's okay to ask where they are. Also definitely TAKE NOTES and pay attention, because the professors aren't going to baby you and make sure that you know everything. That being said, though, they are willing to help you when you need it. Take advantage of their office hours, because this is a perfect opportunity to get help in a more quiet setting and also allows the professor to get to know you. This may help you score some brownie points either. Don't procrastinate, because it all builds up if you do.

Look around for campus jobs. My campus posts some online. Or look for things in the area. Tell them your availability and make sure you can handle both work and going to school. School of course is very and you want to make sure you have time to study, as well as socialize.

I take advantage of my roommates' schedules. Maybe you can ask your roommates for their class schedule, and give them yours. Maybe then you can find some times where you'll be free when they aren't. I take advantage of those times so I can have some alone time. Or you may find a more quiet area of your dorm building, or even in a place such as the library (ours has study rooms), where you can just be alone for a bit.

I'd say the best thing is to keep in touch with your parents. Obviously you don't have to call them every second of the day, but it does feel nice to update them on how things are going and see how they're doing every so often. Plus, I'm sure you can visit them, or they can come up and visit you!

Does your school have a counseling center? This can be really useful for learning how to cope with college.

I'd also make use of any study centers, writing centers, or tutors available. It can go a long way!

You can do this!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread