TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BLUE123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Athena

Points: 5,075, Level: 10 Points: 5,075, Level: 10 Points: 5,075, Level: 10

Question Shit high school - August 31st 2015, 01:42 PM

My problems are really stupid compared to all of yours but i really need help .

3 years ago...
Hated myself . Felt unimportant and useless . Very reserved and silent . Always took myself and life way too seriously . Wasted all my childhood studying instead of having fun ( i blame my mom for it . She was a control freak ) . Was overweight . Highly sensitive . Took everything personally . No friends , no one wants to sit with me . Boring person . But , i took the oath to change....

Present...
Don't hate myself much . Lost weight . Emotionless . Not so boring . Changed everything about myself . Got over my low self esteem , and low confidence but i still find it hard to talk to boys , i have no idea why . I am not shy anymore but still . And i suck at group discussion and stuff unless i know each person present personally . I am very good at making new friends...problem is with the people who used to be in my class 3 years ago .
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Shit high school - August 31st 2015, 06:25 PM

Your problems are not stupid, and you shouldn't compare them to what others are going through. Your feelings are always valid, and it's okay if even small things make you upset. However, could you be a little more clear about what kind of advice you'd like to receive? What are some of the bigger challenges in your life right now that you need some help with? I can give general advice with what you've listed but if I get more details I can make my advice more personal and in turn, more helpful.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Shit high school - August 31st 2015, 08:24 PM

Hey, Athena.

Your problems are not stupid at all. Everyone has their own problems and they shouldn't be compared because those problems still affect them to some extent, therefore, those problems matter too. So never be afraid to reach out here because you feel like a problem is "too small" or "stupid", okay?

Sounds like you were struggling a lot 3 years ago. I'm sorry you dealt with all of that but I'm really glad that a few things have improved since then such as your confidence and self esteem for example. Seems like you're doing a lot of things right and you should keep that up. Although, can I ask what you mean by "emotionless"? Do you feel numb? When you struggle with certain things, it's a good idea to let yourself feel those emotions even if they hurt. Then go from there in finding healthy and helpful outlets/solutions to resolving those feelings. Do you have many outlets and ways to express yourself? Journaling and creative hobbies can allow you to do this.

As for having trouble talking to others, you say that you aren't shy so that isn't what is preventing you from talking to others but could it help to practice conversing with different people? Particularly people in your class you don't personally know so that you can improve on social skills. That is probably really hard for you, but the more you take part in these discussions and make efforts to talk to others, it'll help you ease out of your comfort zone and improve social skills. With people you find it difficult to talk to, you could introduce yourself, ask them how they are and ask questions about themselves. Just listen, you know? Respond to what they say, share similar experiences of yours etc. At first it'll probably be hard, but socialization can become easier with practice for some. Also, can I ask what the problem is with the people who used to be in your class 3 years ago? Are they mistreating you now?
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
BLUE123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

September 1st 2015, 05:29 PM

how to be less reserved ? how to open up with people ? How to interact with people better ?

@ Nala
I don't love anything or anyone . I just can't . Whenever i get attached to something or someone , i let go . That's what i meant by 'emotionless' . And i end up making everyone who loves me hate me .

About the people in my class 3 years ago , they don't mistreat me . They are all good . I Dunno why but i pretend like i can't see them . I think it's just my stupid attitude .

Last edited by Eternal; September 1st 2015 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Double post.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Shit high school - September 1st 2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE123 View Post
how to be less reserved ? how to open up with people ? How to interact with people better ?

@ Nala
I don't love anything or anyone . I just can't . Whenever i get attached to something or someone , i let go . That's what i meant by 'emotionless' . And i end up making everyone who loves me hate me .

About the people in my class 3 years ago , they don't mistreat me . They are all good . I Dunno why but i pretend like i can't see them . I think it's just my stupid attitude .
Well, firstly I think it's quite great that you want to change this and be more open with people. That's a healthy thing.

Did anything in particular cause you to become this way when it comes to your feelings? By that, I mean letting go when you get attached, not being able to open up and often being reserved. It may be helpful to figure out why you once began doing this to tackle the problem directly. Sounds like you're simply trying to protect yourself, is that it?

Do you have a few close friends? If you have relatively close friends that haven't betrayed you or anything, and if you have family members you trust such as your parents or aunt for example, how about trusting them with a few personal details of yours? Such as struggles you go through and things you feel you need to talk about? Disclosing small things and working up to the bigger things could make it a lot easier for you to open up and become less reserved if you feel allowed to be yourself, you know what I mean?

When you get attached to something or someone, would it help to practice maintaining that attachment? Instead of going back to your patterns of letting go and staying in that cycle, stay instead. I realize that's easier said than done, but maintaining an attachment to someone can bring lots of positive feelings that will make you glad you got close. Sure, there is always that chance of getting hurt, but without getting hurt then how can we know happiness, you know? Just know that either way, you always have support here and I hope you would reach out to people in your personal life such as family whenever you struggle.

Would you consider getting to know the people in your class again? Since they did not mistreat you, then it might be good for you to reconnect with them.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
BLUE123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Shit high school - September 8th 2015, 10:45 AM

@ Nala
thanks . You are really helpful ! Yeah , just protecting myself from being hurt .
I have a lot of friends , i am good at making friends with individuals but when it is in a group or something i remain quiet .
It would be nice to get to know them again but who exactly do i do that ? It would be weird if i just walked over and said 'hi' after ignoring them all this time .
*Regrets*
Closed Thread