TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Vanitas Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,429, Level: 9 Points: 4,429, Level: 9 Points: 4,429, Level: 9

In the 2nd semester of highschool senior year, should one start viewing/seeing themselves as a college student? - February 22nd 2016, 09:47 AM

I'm in my 2nd semester of senior year and I was wondering, should I feel this way?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: In the 2nd semester of highschool senior year, should one start viewing/seeing themselves as a college student? - February 22nd 2016, 02:39 PM

There's no right or wrong way to how you should feel. Whatever you feel, is right for you. It can be helpful to start preparing and thinking for life as a college student and what you want to get out of college. But it's not entirely necessary as everyone feels different about it, especially if you don't plan on going to college. It's best to focus on the present: I imagine you still have classes to attend and exams to pass, so it's probably best to focus on them.

I never felt like a college student until I was in the 2nd year of college

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Re: In the 2nd semester of highschool senior year, should one start viewing/seeing themselves as a college student? - February 22nd 2016, 05:44 PM

I don't think someone should really see themselves as a college student while still in the last year of high school because really, you aren't a college student yet. Even if you've been admitted you're still a high school student and college, in my opinion, is extremely different than high school.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Vanitas Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: In the 2nd semester of highschool senior year, should one start viewing/seeing themselves as a college student? - February 23rd 2016, 05:34 PM

Yeah I agree. I ask this because lately, I feel like my dad has been pressuring college on me way too much. Like all he ever wants to talk about is it and where I'm going to go and he's already talking about me doing stuff after like setting up my own business and I'm like "wow, dad, relax, thats years from now." If I don't do something on it right away he gets pretty annoyed and I think he's focused too much on me going to college. I know he wants what is best but I think he needs to lay off the college stuff tbh.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Re: In the 2nd semester of highschool senior year, should one start viewing/seeing themselves as a college student? - February 23rd 2016, 08:01 PM

You should definitely be figuring out where you want to go because there ARE deadlines.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Vanitas Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: In the 2nd semester of highschool senior year, should one start viewing/seeing themselves as a college student? - February 24th 2016, 03:44 AM

Yes of course I do, I have already done plans and have an idea. I have not put it off to the last minute but I feel like my dad is placing a lot of pressure on me to do so
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: In the 2nd semester of highschool senior year, should one start viewing/seeing themselves as a college student? - February 24th 2016, 09:50 AM

I think it's a natural thing for parents to do. You are getting nearer to leaving school, so your dad may be wondering what's going to happen next and how you are coping with exams. It's another transition in life and any time things in life change it can be sometimes be a bit difficult to adjust to. It's best to keep your dad in the picture of your plans and what you want to do. He may then calm down a bit, once he realises you have a plan for the future. However, sometimes parents might disagree with what they think their child should do, and this might be another reason for your dads behaviour. But ultimately, what you want to do is up to you.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: In the 2nd semester of highschool senior year, should one start viewing/seeing themselves as a college student? - February 25th 2016, 01:36 AM

In all honesty, no unless you're in college. You're not doing college work. You're still set on a schedule and you can go to jail if you don't show up to school. I was in college when I was sixteen and I honestly could tell you the difference between high school and college was dramatic.

However, you're not likely to magically mature over the summer. Not much will change except you'll meet new people and start being more responsible for your own work such as whether you choose to do it or not.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: In the 2nd semester of highschool senior year, should one start viewing/seeing themselves as a college student? - February 25th 2016, 10:53 PM

As long as you have a plan and have applied for college or looked at the deadlines I don't think you should put too much emphasis on college. You should take time to enjoy your senior year.

Parents are gonna stress about that and they have a lot of ideas about what their kids should do but at the end of the day you need to do what makes you happy. Major in what you want, enter college when you want, etc.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Jupiter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,370, Level: 9 Points: 4,370, Level: 9 Points: 4,370, Level: 9

Re: In the 2nd semester of highschool senior year, should one start viewing/seeing themselves as a college student? - March 5th 2016, 08:30 AM

Personally, I feel like you're on the right track Vanitas. You should definitely start seeing yourself as a college student and I wish someone told me the very same thing at your age.

Messing around made it that much harder to get into my school and program of choice, elongating my undergraduate process by about two years. Had I settled down and actually put in some effort in high school (you don't even have to work that hard), everything would have probably been much easier.

There's also a reason why the kids who actually studied in high school have gone on to be successful in university; studying and succeeding is infectious and once you get the hang of it, you'll keep at it.
Closed Thread