TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gallopthestars Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,297, Level: 9 Points: 4,297, Level: 9 Points: 4,297, Level: 9

Unhappy School Uniform Skirt Dilemma! - May 3rd 2016, 03:46 PM

So this year I started at a new private catholic school, which of course includes uniforms which consist of a polo and a navy pleated kilt. Of course, being teenage girls there's no doubt that we all roll our skirts. I'm not talking ridiculous slutty kind of rolling but just enough to give our legs 2-3" of freedom above the knee. So many girls do it that the teachers and even the principal no longer pays any attention to it. Now my problem is that like most of the girls I roll my skirt, however, I'm pretty sure that I have some OCD or anxiety and I'm sure that I have sensory deficient disorder. As a result, I find the skirt's pleats to rest on my skin when its rolled and even just it being there gets to a point where I want to rip the skirt off. I just want to be able to be fashionable and wear this skirt rolled without its pleats annoying me and distracting me from my work. I've tried tightening the skirt and making it loose and neither solves the problem. Any ideas? Thanks
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 5,906, Level: 11 Points: 5,906, Level: 11 Points: 5,906, Level: 11

Re: School Uniform Skirt Dilemma! - May 9th 2016, 04:24 AM

Hello.

I would suggest wearing skin coloured tights/pantyhose/hose (not sure what exactly you call them where you're from!) These will act as a buffer between your skin and the skirt and hopefully reduce the sensation of the pleats.

Be kind to yourself.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BreathingIn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 7,702, Level: 12 Points: 7,702, Level: 12 Points: 7,702, Level: 12

Re: School Uniform Skirt Dilemma! - May 11th 2016, 04:54 AM

Could you have the skirt hemmed instead of rolling it? Make sure the tailor keeps the fabric on the skirt (don't cut it) so that it can be let back down later if needed. Maybe the pleats won't feel so bad.

Also, can you wear pants with your uniform?

I feel your pain about uniforms. But cherish this time when you don't have to worry about putting an outfit together lol!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Toreen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,460, Level: 9 Points: 4,460, Level: 9 Points: 4,460, Level: 9

Re: School Uniform Skirt Dilemma! - May 17th 2016, 10:28 AM

This I can definitely somewhat relate to...
My school's skirts were made of wool and i'm highly allergic to wool so if my bare legs touched them it would get really uncomfortable and I would get rashes and stuff.
Anyway, what I did was I would wear bike shorts that were slightly longer than my skirt itself so that there was always a layer between my legs and the skirt.
And in the winter I would wear leggings or tights, although I know catholic schools have a strict uniform code so I'm not sure whether those would be allowed.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jade24 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,309, Level: 9 Points: 4,309, Level: 9 Points: 4,309, Level: 9

Re: School Uniform Skirt Dilemma! - May 17th 2016, 12:13 PM

It's really very tough to deal with these school uniforms.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: School Uniform Skirt Dilemma! - May 19th 2016, 07:20 AM

I feel you! I was able to wear black/navy stockings or socks during winter months but had to wear black/navy knee high socks during summer as we weren't allowed to wear stockings. It was so itchy so my parents took my uniform skirts to the tailor and got them lined. That way I could wear it without stockings and wouldn't have to worry about it itching.

My friend had hers just lined around the hem so that didn't rub against her legs instead of the whole thing which seemed to work as well.
Closed Thread