TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Natalie27 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nat

Points: 3,906, Level: 9 Points: 3,906, Level: 9 Points: 3,906, Level: 9

Post Expressing Gratitude to School Counsellor - March 7th 2017, 05:50 AM

*Expressing Gratitude Help!*
So ever since last February I've been meeting weekly with my Youth Support Coordinator at school. February last year my grandfather took his own life so ever since he's been talking me through my emotions of grief, family and school troubles. Grief became all too much for me to bare and at one stage and I started self harming with my own thoughts of suicide. I really owe it to this guy for standing by me in my darkest times. In the times I was never closest with my dad he made it feel like I could come to him and still do whenever I just need to talk, serious topic or not. When my class has parties or sometimes my teacher allows me to randomly bring in cake I always offer him some and I often write him lengthy letters expressing how grateful I am to have in my last few years of schooling and for his positive life talks. Buttt the thing is, this year is my last year, obviously the last year I'll see him too so I'm wanting to do something big and unique that he won't expect at all as he knows me quite well! I once sent an article with him featured in it to a local mental health magazine in the area in which he eventually found out about but even that didn't make him completely gobsmacked as like I said, he knows me and I sensed he was waiting for it, haha! Would love your help on ideas?! thanks.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Expressing Gratitude to School Counsellor - March 7th 2017, 11:55 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. Your youth support co-ordinator sounds like he was a lot of support to you during that difficult time, especially when things got worse for you and you weren't close to your dad.

It's touching that you want to thank him for supporting you and sticking by you! I love things with the personal touch, so writing a thank you letter or card is a great way of showing how grateful you are. You could do other things like bake a cake or invite him to a class party and give him a special mention. If you have assemblies at school, perhaps you can nominate him for an award? Otherwise, I'm sure that whatever you do, he will love it!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Expressing Gratitude to School Counsellor - March 7th 2017, 07:22 PM

Hey,
Grief can be a really hard thing to deal with. So I am really glad that you found someone who you could talk to.

I think thanking him is a really special idea. I honestly think anything you do to thank him would make him really happy. I would suggest making a hand made card and then maybe writing a letter. I don't know if you draw or write poetry but, when i thank people I draw them a picture or write them a poem. That way it is something special they can hold on to. I think maybe on the last day of school you could give him a thank you balloon that you get at the dollar store or something, not spending a lot of money though, but also create something personal and unique for him and give that to him as well.

I hope these ideas have helped a little bit.
Your Friend,
Essa<3
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: Expressing Gratitude to School Counsellor - March 8th 2017, 08:35 PM

I know you said you already wrote him letters thanking him. So perhaps you should try to collaborate with other students that he has helped as well. You can get them all to sign a card, or write him little personal notes and present it all in a folder. Or, if its not to late, have all the notes be added to the school year book. Everyone showing him how appreciated he is would be a really kind thing.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
Closed Thread