TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42

Work dilemma. - April 5th 2022, 11:05 AM

So I have two jobs - one of them is a Monday-Friday full-time childcare role and the other is a weekend position at a bar.
My dream career is ultimately to be a teacher which I am currently studying my education degree.
Basically, the only reason why I work at the bar is to get some extra money. The management and other staff are great and I get along with them all. The problem is the job itself. I used to love working in a bar and a part of me still does to some extend. But it's starting to affect my mental health more than what I thought it would. Back in December, there was one particular night that was quite rough for me. Essentially there were a lot of customers that were intoxicated that night and there was problem after problem that the majority, if not all of the time, I had to deal with and handle. The assistant manager I felt like was just hiding upstairs in the office. Since then, I found that I have grown increasingly anxious especially during my evening shifts due to my fear of a patron being so intoxicated that they may fall down and hurt themselves because I served them too much. I know they are adults and they are accountable for their own actions but I still feel like it would be my fault if something happened. I've been working at a bar for the last four years and nothing like this has happened but I just can't get it out of my head.
Today, I have been offered a tutoring job which I most likely would take to do after work and over the weekend but there's so many thoughts running through my head. The pros of taking this tutoring job is that it's closer to where I live, it will help me in the long run with my career and it pays more an hour. I will also get my social life back because I won't have to work Friday and Saturday nights anymore. However, the cons will be the possibility of not liking the position or not being good at it which is like taking up any other job. If I would take the tutoring job, I would resign from the bar job and possibly only work Sundays during the day so I won't have to deal with the drunks over the weekend.
I'm just all over the place at the moment.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16

Re: Work dilemma. - April 5th 2022, 09:05 PM

I'd totally just stick with the teaching role and degree. That seems better than working at a bar on just weekends IMO. It also sounds like it's hurting you more than helping. I'd suggest just keeping the teaching job and focusing on that. I wish you the best in whatever you decide on doing!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: Work dilemma. - April 5th 2022, 09:53 PM

You still have your main teaching job regardless, that's the important thing. Jobs change over time, if you don't feel like the bar is a good place for you anymore, then it's perfectly fine to leave after 4 years, whether you take and keep the tutoring job or not. No job is worth your physical or mental health, especially if you can get along fine without it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42

Re: Work dilemma. - April 6th 2022, 10:43 AM

Thank you for your replies.

I have decided to talk face to face with my manager at the bar and see if he is able to only give me Sunday shifts. If not, I'll most likely end up leaving.

Closed Thread