TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Thank you etiquette - September 21st 2021, 09:24 PM

I finished my course last year but won't be having a graduation until next year. My course was cut short by the pandemic where the last 2-3 weeks were done online because we were in lockdown.

Anyway, I did really well and am hoping to publish my research.

I had planned on sending a thank you card to my dissertation supervisor as I had more contact with her and it's down to her that I'm hoping to publish in the first place. But I did have another lecturer before my supervisor and now I'm wondering whether to get her a card as well? They do interact as they are colleagues in the same department, though I don't think they are really close or anything. But I just thought it might seem weird or unfair if I get one a card and not the other? But it also seems weird since I finished my course a year ago so not even sure my other lecturer would remember me much

I do plan on attending graduation next year but I don't really feel comfortable giving cards in person so I would probably just pop the card(s) in the post instead. If I do get published, it would be in the next few months so that's why I would prefer to send a thank you card in the near future.

I'd be grateful for any advice!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Thank you etiquette - September 21st 2021, 11:58 PM

I don't see why not. You're grateful for all their help and support and a thank you card is a great way of showing it. Not only that, even if you think they don't remember you, you could always write a bit of blurb in there that kind of lightens the mood - 'You probably don't remember me but I just want to say thank you for....'.

Alternatively, you could contact them beforehand and see how things are to make it a little less awkward in wondering whether or not they remember you.

Either way, I don't see why sending both of them is a bad idea.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Thank you etiquette - September 22nd 2021, 03:38 PM

If this is something you want to do, then go for it! It sounds like these two individuals really helped you and got you to where you want/need to be. Perhaps, if you're concerned they won't remember you or seem to care as much, you could add some antidotes in your letter to them. Of course, you have different experiences with these two people, so definitely make it relatable to them. :P

I think they would appreciate your writing to them even more if you made it personal with the antidotes, and even add a little humor that you know they'd get. People always love getting letters from those they've mentored, so they'll be happy.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,846, Level: 33 Points: 55,846, Level: 33 Points: 55,846, Level: 33

Re: Thank you etiquette - September 22nd 2021, 07:38 PM

Holly, I think such a gesture would be welcome, and even if your previous lecturer doesn't remember you now, they will surely remember you after the thank you card

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,973, Level: 42 Points: 88,973, Level: 42 Points: 88,973, Level: 42

Re: Thank you etiquette - September 23rd 2021, 09:23 AM

I would definitely go for it as well!

That's such a beautiful thought.

Closed Thread