TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Biden on vaccines - July 29th 2021, 09:05 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ent/index.html

Also, to note, many other states or cities are implementing this. California is one and state and Healthcare workers will need to be vaccinated or submit to testing. No clarification has been provided about what happens if they refuse. With Biden's suggestion it does not appear people will be fired.

Vaccinations are required in schools and, talking to people in other states, proof of vaccination is required for certain jobs. I don't disagree with this and think that if it doesn't work, they should start mandating it like they do for other vaccinations
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59

Re: Biden on vaccines - July 29th 2021, 09:55 PM

I’m all for this. If you don’t get vaccinated, you’d better understand that businesses also have the right to require a mask and deny entry to those without them. Workplaces have the right to make you get tested as often as they want.
Even if you aren’t worried about others, protect yourself.
The emergency use authorization the vaccine was offered under does NOT mean that the vaccine hasn’t undergone clinical trials and continuous monitoring for adverse events. They’re even on the way to getting FDA approval. There was funding that allowed these clinical trials to take place the way they did, but they weren’t rushed. I can assure you the government likely doesn’t see a point in potentially harming an entire country. That would have adverse effects on the economy, etc.

Covid cases are on the rise. As a contact tracer, I don’t want to have to call you.
What about breakthroughs you may ask? This is anecdotal of course but I have noticed that the people who are vaccinated have much milder symptoms if they do contract Covid. Some don’t even know they have it until they have to test for work or travel. Those who haven’t had the vaccine have had it rougher.

Want things to return to normal? Get the vax.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42

Re: Biden on vaccines - July 31st 2021, 06:07 AM

Here in Australia, in order for us to get out of lockdown is for people to get vaccinated and for the Covid-19 cases to go down.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Biden on vaccines - August 1st 2021, 01:22 AM

I'm updating to say some clubs around here are requiring proof of vaccination or negative covid test within 72 hours in order to be admitted.

People are screaming about freedom of choice (I'm hoping these same people feel the same way about a woman's right to choose) and discrimination.

I still don't believe that these requirements will do anything unless there are consequences... Such as people who refuse to comply with employers losing their jobs.

It seems like we are looking at a never ending pandemic and, if things don't improve drastically, I could see more lockdowns
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42

Re: Biden on vaccines - August 1st 2021, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
I'm updating to say some clubs around here are requiring proof of vaccination or negative covid test within 72 hours in order to be admitted.

People are screaming about freedom of choice (I'm hoping these same people feel the same way about a woman's right to choose) and discrimination.

I still don't believe that these requirements will do anything unless there are consequences... Such as people who refuse to comply with employers losing their jobs.

It seems like we are looking at a never ending pandemic and, if things don't improve drastically, I could see more lockdowns
I agree. It's so frustrating.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Biden on vaccines - August 3rd 2021, 03:45 PM

Updating here:

New York City is requiring proof of vaccination in restaurant, bars, nightclubs and gyms.

I know there are a few nightclubs in my city requiring this and other cities in my state have bars/restaurants/nightclubs requiring this.

People are freaking out about their freedoms. Spouting a lot of misinformation and I fear it won't do much to help but we shall see.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29

Re: Biden on vaccines - August 4th 2021, 12:14 AM

Sadly coronavirus keeps mutating and causing more harm to people. I think they will need to keep formulating new vaccines to fight this virus..

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Biden on vaccines - August 4th 2021, 04:18 AM

Anti-vaxxers have been around a long time, but I always assumed they made up maybe 5-10% of people, maybe 15% in more hippie-ish areas. I never expected this to be a widespread problem. I thought that even if people weren't taking Covid very seriously, they'd still roll their eyes and get the shot just so things would go back to normal. They wanted herd immunity at the start of the pandemic, and now here we are. The vaccines are the best way to achieve that..
I think vaccine passports are a great idea. We already have them for schools and camps. Unfortunately, I think theres a political element to this vaccine that makes it harder to swallow for people.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Biden on vaccines - August 4th 2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
Anti-vaxxers have been around a long time, but I always assumed they made up maybe 5-10% of people, maybe 15% in more hippie-ish areas. I never expected this to be a widespread problem. I thought that even if people weren't taking Covid very seriously, they'd still roll their eyes and get the shot just so things would go back to normal. They wanted herd immunity at the start of the pandemic, and now here we are. The vaccines are the best way to achieve that..
I think vaccine passports are a great idea. We already have them for schools and camps. Unfortunately, I think theres a political element to this vaccine that makes it harder to swallow for people.
Politics plays a huge role. The past *president* made covid political instead of focusing on finding a resolution or mitigation. The current administration is stuck between a rock and a hard place to. If they shut down there will be a lack of support tin 2022. Plus with all the voting laws and gerrymandering going on... The democrats are facing a huge loss in 22.

My governor is up for recall and if we close down he will almost certainly lose.

I have been hearing that covid deaths are worse than last year when things were bad. The uncertainty is killing me too. Last year I predicted the second lock down. This year I'm just wondering how it'll play out. I do not want another lock down but if hospitals become over run, who knows what will happen

I feel for hospital staff. Hope vaccine requirementa help but I'm pessimistic.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59

Re: Biden on vaccines - August 4th 2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Anti-vaxxers have been around a long time, but I always assumed they made up maybe 5-10% of people, maybe 15% in more hippie-ish areas. I never expected this to be a widespread problem
Like what Jenna said, politics are also a problem but there are people still hesitant because it is new and not FDA approved. I talked about the Emergency Use Authorization a little bit in my previous post, but I've been hearing a lot of people saying it hasn't been studied like your "traditional' vaccines so they don't want to be putting "random stuff" into their bodies. Others said they want to wait and see since there's now the Delta variant and they feel like they'll need to change the vaccine again to combat it.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: Biden on vaccines - November 5th 2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheek! View Post
I’m all for this. If you don’t get vaccinated, you’d better understand that businesses also have the right to require a mask and deny entry to those without them. Workplaces have the right to make you get tested as often as they want.
Even if you aren’t worried about others, protect yourself.
The emergency use authorization the vaccine was offered under does NOT mean that the vaccine hasn’t undergone clinical trials and continuous monitoring for adverse events. They’re even on the way to getting FDA approval. There was funding that allowed these clinical trials to take place the way they did, but they weren’t rushed. I can assure you the government likely doesn’t see a point in potentially harming an entire country. That would have adverse effects on the economy, etc.

Covid cases are on the rise. As a contact tracer, I don’t want to have to call you.
What about breakthroughs you may ask? This is anecdotal of course but I have noticed that the people who are vaccinated have much milder symptoms if they do contract Covid. Some don’t even know they have it until they have to test for work or travel. Those who haven’t had the vaccine have had it rougher.

Want things to return to normal? Get the vax.
If a contact tracer called me, Id just tell them to fuck off. Not trying to be rude, just being honest. COVID cases declined. I didn't get vaccinated and now states with democrat governors that tried to shame ours into shutting down the economy (government forced poverty) have a higher covid rate!
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Re: Biden on vaccines - November 5th 2021, 05:06 PM

That’s okay! We take no for an answer.

From what I heard on NPR, Connecticut’s Hartford Healthcare vaccinated the first kid. Go CT!

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Biden on vaccines - November 5th 2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
If a contact tracer called me, Id just tell them to fuck off. Not trying to be rude, just being honest. COVID cases declined. I didn't get vaccinated and now states with democrat governors that tried to shame ours into shutting down the economy (government forced poverty) have a higher covid rate!

It's weird that you're cool with all the unnecessary deaths caused by governors like Abbot and DeSantis.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Biden on vaccines - November 5th 2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
It's weird that you're cool with all the unnecessary deaths caused by governors like Abbot and DeSantis.
What should Desantis have done? Tell me that I can't work and that my right to make a basic living for myself takes a back seat to "public health"? Florida has the lowest per capita rate of COVID in the entire country now. But we faced all the blame from the left when it was our turn with the delta variant. Democrat policies mostly fail and are often based on a theoretical world that doesnt exist (if only if everyone would). Its kind of why gas prices are like what, twice the national average? - in California because they have chosen to prioritize the small difference in carbon one state can make over more affordable living expenses.

The party that allegedly supports workers keeps adding more regulation and killing jobs- throughout the entire pandemic.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Biden on vaccines - November 5th 2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
What should Desantis have done? Tell me that I can't work? Florida has the lowest per capita rate of COVID in the entire country now. But we faced all the blame from the left when it was our turn with the delta variant. Democrat policies mostly fail and are often based on a theoretical world that doesnt exist (if only if everyone would). Its kind of why gas prices are like what, twice the national average? - in California because they have chosen to prioritize the small difference in carbon one state can make over more affordable living expenses.

The party that allegedly supports workers keeps adding more regulation and killing jobs- throughout the entire pandemic.
Yeah there is a lot of false information here. Honestly, being cool with the unnecessary deaths of people is not a good look. DeSantis is responsible for those deaths as is Abbot. People being sacrificed for the "economy" is terrible and says a lot about those politicians and the people that support them.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Biden on vaccines - November 5th 2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah there is a lot of false information here. Honestly, being cool with the unnecessary deaths of people is not a good look. DeSantis is responsible for those deaths as is Abbot. People being sacrificed for the "economy" is terrible and says a lot about those politicians and the people that support them.
Dude, Im not some Jeff Bezos. I work because I simply need to make a living in order to survive. It's a need, not something that I want to have to do everyday. The only reason Earth supports 7 billion people now is because we have an agricultural economy that can sustain a large population. Humanity is no longer composed of a few thousand tribal members who can just eat off the land. We need to have an economy in order for people to eat. In order to have an economy, we have to have a diverse set of jobs and potential occupations. How is that so hard for democrats to understand? Is it because they think anyone who cares about the economy is rich?

When did I say that I am cool with unnecessary deaths? COVID killed those people, not Desantis. Of course, you didnt bother to answer my question about what an intelligent COVID response would be because you dont fucking have a clue.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Biden on vaccines - November 5th 2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Dude, Im not some Jeff Bezos. I work because I simply need to make a living in order to survive. It's a need, not something that I want to have to do everyday. The only reason Earth supports 7 billion people now is because we have an agricultural economy that can sustain a large population. Humanity is no longer composed of a few thousand tribal members who can just eat off the land. We need to have an economy in order for people to eat. In order to have an economy, we have to have a diverse set of jobs and potential occupations. How is that so hard for democrats to understand? Is it because they think anyone who cares about the economy is rich?

When did I say that I am cool with unnecessary deaths? COVID killed those people, not Desantis. Of course, you didnt bother to answer my question about what an intelligent COVID response would be because you dont fucking have a clue.

It intelligent response to covid is ensuring that there are not unnecessary deaths. DeSantis is responsible because he had absolutely no response and just ignored it.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Biden on vaccines - November 5th 2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
It intelligent response to covid is ensuring that there are not unnecessary deaths. DeSantis is responsible because he had absolutely no response and just ignored it.
Whats an unnecessary death? If someone dies of AIDS, thats not the governors fault. How is it the governors fault for COVID? Are we supposed to allow Fauci to govern our state now and not our elected governor? And what exactly could DeSantis do to stop the delta variant? Close the state off with strict armed border patrol? Do another lockdown(when the first cause substantial social problems in society)? He made monoclonal antibody treatments more widely available and advocated for the effectiveness of vaccines. Im unsure what more he could have done. We now have the lowest COVID rate in the country and we did it without having to cause undue damage to our economy,our personal rights, and our ability to make a living. Democrat states have forced people to deal with prolonged business closures, restrictions, unemployment and loss of rights on top of a pandemic. People unable to work because maybe they have a background and their small business-the niche the found in this world- was forcibly shut through non-capitalistic government interfence. Or someone unable to find work for months because their entire industry is banned by the state for not being essential: completely thrown under the bus.

While HIV can spread both through gay and straight sex, gay male sex is statistically much more dangerous in terms of contracting it. If men never fucked other dudes, we would have much less community spread of HIV-including to women. But we dont ban gay sex “to slow the spread of HIV” because it is a basic human right to be able to follow our sexual orientation. Similarly, it is a basic human right to be able to work and strict restrictions of several industries interferes with that.

Last edited by Proud90sKid; November 5th 2021 at 08:44 PM.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Biden on vaccines - November 5th 2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Whats an unnecessary death? If someone dies of AIDS, thats not the governors fault. How is it the governors fault for COVID? Are we supposed to allow Fauci to govern our state now and not our elected governor? And what exactly could DeSantis do to stop the delta variant? Close the state off with strict armed border patrol? Do another lockdown(when the first cause substantial social problems in society)? He made monoclonal antibody treatments more widely available and advocated for the effectiveness of vaccines. Im unsure what more he could have done. We now have the lowest COVID rate in the country and we did it without having to cause undue damage to our economy,our personal rights, and our ability to make a living. Democrat states have forced people to deal with prolonged business closures, restrictions, unemployment and loss of rights on top of a pandemic. People unable to work because maybe they have a background and their small business-the niche the found in this world- was forcibly shut through non-capitalistic government interfence. Or someone unable to find work for months because their entire industry is banned by the state for not being essential: completely thrown under the bus.

While HIV can spread both through gay and straight sex, gay male sex is statistically much more dangerous in terms of contracting it. But we dont ban gay sex “to slow the spread of HIV” because it is a basic human right to be able to follow our sexual orientation. Similarly, it is a basic human right to be able to work and strict restrictions of several industries interferes with that.
When the government negligently allowed HIV to go unmitigated and caused the unnecessary deaths of many... The government was at fault. The same can be said of what DeSantis and Abbott have done.

No, we don't ban sex but we teach mitigation measures such as utilizing protection etc. Much like we discuss wearing masks and social distancing and we all know how DeSantis feels about masks. If he was gonna open up and kill unnecessarily, the least he could do was get behind people wearing masks. If the pandemic and masks hadn't been turned political by the GOP and Trump, there'd be less people fighting masking and vaccines and all the other mitigation measures.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: Biden on vaccines - November 6th 2021, 06:25 AM

Full disclosure, I am a democrat, pro-vaccine, and fully vaccinated.

But, Biden is expecting, or at least pushing for a 100% vaccination rate. It's NEVER going to happen, and the harder he pushes, the more likely he is to be voted out next election.

This NEVER should've been political, it is SCIENCE. There are very few legitimate health/scientific-based reasons to refuse a vaccine, period. I'm sick of having to take precautions to protect people who refuse to believe fact-based information, couldn't care less, and/or will never change their minds. It's time to get back to life, with restrictions for the unvaccinated and as harsh as it sounds, let the chips fall where they may.

I'm convinced that at some point, we're probably all going to end up getting it, and if someone chooses not to protect themselves by now, then it is what it is.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
Closed Thread