TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

My parents could’ve helped me years ago. - May 3rd 2022, 07:39 PM

My aunt is bipolar like me so we can relate to each other a little bit. I told my aunt about how I was in the psych hospital and she said that she told my parents I’d need help one day. She knew that I’d need help back when I first got my period. Apparently my mom brushed her off and said that no, that won’t happen. I was eleven when I first got my period. Eleven. It means I started showing outward signs of mental illness earlier than I thought. My parents could’ve gotten me help and treatment before it got bad. Before I started self harming.

I need to learn how to accept this.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: My parents could’ve helped me years ago. - May 4th 2022, 10:51 AM

I've not been in your situation before but have gone through something slightly similar, although different. I'm not sure if my way of thinking will help you at all but just wanted to share my thoughts.

Most parents love their children and want what's best for them. It can be hard to accept that their child may one day struggle with something, especially if they have seen what other family members have gone through and experienced. In a way, it's easy to deny this. It might be that your parents had their own thoughts...perhaps they thought that just because your aunt has bipolar it doesn't necessarily mean that you will get it too. Or perhaps they dismissed your aunt BECAUSE of her bipolar or maybe thought that you would be too young to be showing signs of mental illness (and further dismissing your aunt). Or perhaps they thought that something happened in your aunt's life to cause her bipolar but your parents wouldn't let anything happen to you that could trigger such an illness. In a way, they could protect you from it.

Not knowing enough about bipolar or perhaps only knowing what the worst of bipolar looks like (or worse than that, not believing in bipolar), combined with dismissing your aunt, could make it easy for your parents to miss early warning signs. Puberty and the teenage years are hard and there is often a lot of changes going on emotionally and mentally. I imagine it's very easy to dismiss any concerns as just being a 'moody' teenager or that it's a phase you will grow out of.

Obviously this doesn't help you. You suffered and struggled until your mental health got worse and you were self-harming. It's hard knowing that all of that could've been avoided had your parents listened to your aunt's concerns.

But it can help to remember that our parents are from an older generation to us and they had nowhere near the amount or access to the amount of information we have these days about mental illness. A lot of what out parents may have known about mental illness would be things they've seen or heard from others and things these days that we would not allow (myths, stigma, misconceptions). This creates a breeding ground for misinformation and misunderstanding. Mental illness itself was a taboo subject and those with mental illness used to be treated so terribly generations ago (thinking of lobotomies and ect therapy in the last century). It might not be very relevant, but I thinking building some context might help to explain possible reasons for why your parents didn't get you help sooner.

Is it possible to talk to your mom about this? If she knows and accepts that you have bipolar, then it might help to listen to her reasons.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42

Re: My parents could’ve helped me years ago. - May 4th 2022, 11:18 AM

I'm really sorry, Dez, that you are going through this. I cannot even begin to imagine what you must be feeling. The only advice I can give you is the reassurance that my inbox will always be open for you to have a chat about anything.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 109,289, Level: 47 Points: 109,289, Level: 47 Points: 109,289, Level: 47

Re: My parents could’ve helped me years ago. - May 6th 2022, 05:20 PM

Hello Dez,

I am so sorry about all of this and I hope that you will be okay soon. When we are growing up we need our parents to be with us and no matter what we are going through, they should be helping us with what we are going through. If they don't know anything about it, then they find someone to help them understand so they can help us to be okay soon. I'm sorry about how you started to self harm and I hope that you will be okay soon. Try to find something to help you get your mind off of this so that you are not thinking about it for a while, going for a walk or listening to music or watching movies or TV shows or playing games or something else that you enjoy doing and I hope you will be okay soon. Sending you to help.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: My parents could’ve helped me years ago. - May 6th 2022, 06:01 PM

Same here. Mental illness runs strong on one side of my family, and my anxiety was blatantly obvious practically from birth. My parents never even suggested professional help as an option. I started meds at 29 and said to myself 'You mean I could've been this much better DECADES AGO?!" I felt the same way when I got my disability diagnosis.

My dad is the master of denial and somehow grew out of his own severe anxiety, so he just told to get over it. I'm 34 and he's still in denial about everything that makes me atypical.

Sometimes our parents genuinely don't know, and other times, their own denial ends up hurting us. People don't become perfect when they become parents, they're still human and that's my best guess about what happened with me and maybe with you too.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
Closed Thread