TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Not sure about my religion - March 15th 2012, 02:52 PM

I mean, I know what I believe in, for the most part anyways, but I don't know as a certain religion explains that. And I've gone through quite a few different ideas as well. Right now, I'm dabbling in the idea that our life is like a tree, it has many branches at certain turning points in life, mainly at death. Meaning say, someone has a near death experience, a car crash for example, but they survive. Well in this process of thinking I've had on my mind, what if they did survive here in this reality, but what if there is another reality that branches off into a reality where the person died. So there may be many branches to peoples lives. And that also means that if someone were to die in this life, this reality in which they've spent their conscious years, I think perhaps they may continue on, as if nothing had happened, but it'd be a different reality. Everything would be the exact same, just that they didn't die from something they very well could have.

It probably sounds crazy but somehow it makes sense that our lives are like a tree that branch into completely separate realities. Obviously all branches of the tree stop eventually perhaps, but I'm not so sure on that part. And then I question if I believe in a God and all of that stuff. Like I believe there may be a higher power, but I don't know as anyone is really our "Savior".

I'm not trying to offend anyone with these beliefs by the way, just maybe asking if there's a term for this tree/branch/multiple reality kind of theory, because I know I'm not the first to ever think that. And also if maybe anyone else thinks something similar to it. To be honest, I've started questioning my beliefs more and more, and I really think this is the belief in which best suits me, seeing as how I don't really think there is a hell persay, and I'd like to think there is a heaven but then again I think a branch of still living on is more a heaven to me. As for God, Jesus, all of that, I'm not sure I really truly believe they have as big a part as other religions portray.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15

Re: Not sure about my religion - March 15th 2012, 04:35 PM

Well, do you need to be labelled? if so, why?

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,519, Level: 46 Points: 106,519, Level: 46 Points: 106,519, Level: 46

Re: Not sure about my religion - March 18th 2012, 10:54 AM

You know, my friend actually suggested that theory to me a couple of years ago, and it's really stuck with me. I'm not sure I believe it, exactly, but it does make a sort of sense. I haven't heard of a specific name for it, but if I do I'll let you know.
Anyway. Questioning your beliefs is fine, even good. I'm a strong believer in discovering your own path, not simply following whatever religion you were taught as a child or told to believe. Searching for answers on your own is the best way to find them, you know? As the user above me said, why do you feel the need to have a label? You can be spiritual but not religious, you can have strong beliefs but not be part of a formal religion... there are so many options.
Of course, with your talk of branches and trees and such, the obvious religion that comes to mind would be some kind of paganism - have you looked into any of the pagan paths?
On that note, keep exploring. When I first branched (no pun intended) away from Christianity, the thing I found most helpful was to look at all the other religions. Read as much as you can, talk to people of different religions, and see what appeals to you. If you want, you can pick and choose aspects of different religions to have a personal, unique faith. It's yours, after all, so it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it.
Finally, if you ever want to talk about this, I'm always happy to listen. I'm open-minded and I promise I won't judge you, so don't be shy.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Re: Not sure about my religion - March 21st 2012, 09:45 AM

I actually haven't looked into anything too much, and my dad is a Pagan so I really should know more about it than I do lolz, he even wrote a whole like Pagan bible with some friends and it's HUGE! Lolz, anyway yeah, I'll look into that and also I'll remember to PM you more often lolz.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,519, Level: 46 Points: 106,519, Level: 46 Points: 106,519, Level: 46

Re: Not sure about my religion - March 21st 2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoraphobia♥ View Post
I actually haven't looked into anything too much, and my dad is a Pagan so I really should know more about it than I do lolz, he even wrote a whole like Pagan bible with some friends and it's HUGE! Lolz, anyway yeah, I'll look into that and also I'll remember to PM you more often lolz.
That sounds really cool. Maybe you can ask him about it? He'd probably know more than I do. That said, you're welcome to PM me whenever you want.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
Closed Thread