TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Closed Article

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
Rate Article
Making Poetry An Art
by Storyteller. February 7th 2014, 06:03 AM

Making Poetry An Art
By Holly (Algernon)

1. Write as though you are appealing to the five senses. Taste, touch, smell, sight, and hearing. This is a great way to convey to the reader the very essence of your poetry. People understand when you are directing your words to their "vulnerable" zones. When you are speaking to your lover, you try and use words to describe how they taste and how they look. It's alluring. The same goes for poetry. If you can seduce someone with your words, they will want more, and enjoy your writing.

2. Try and bring words together by using adjectives, less facts, and contractions. Example: "You have hurt me a lot because now I see that you really do not love me." Rephrased: "You've pained me due to the hollow absence of your promise of love." Do you see? Description is key. Less facts. Poetry is about expression. Before you shape your poem at the end, type/write it out in a paragraph form. If the paragraph works, your poetry is just a paragraph broken up. There are no rules to poetry, It doesn't have to be formed just right. Break it up, have fun.

3. Put your soul inside your written words. I'm not a fan of angst poetry. It's okay to have some sad, teenage tragedies in your poetry, but the best poems are written from the soul. For example, "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" was a song sung by slaves, when they would work all day, and sing from the bottom of their soul. Similarly, Edgar Allen Poe's poetry is sad, but he still has part of his soul in his written works. Know what I'm saying? This is the most important part of poetry; pour your soul into your poems.

4. Shape your poem. Give your poem a unique shape. For example, if you are writing about a rose, organise your lines in the shape of a rose, to give your poem a more professional look. Then, write your poem out on some nice paper, frame it, and hang it up. Your words are valuable, and keeping them is worth it. Honour your work.
Views 665 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments

Closed Article