TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
Rate Article
My Brother's Husband: A Review
by TeenHelp February 3rd 2018, 12:26 PM

My Brother's Husband: A Review
Jenna (~Abibliophobe~ )

My Brother's Husband is a manga series written and illustrated by Gengoroh Tagame. It is set in Tokyo and it follows the story of Yaichi who is surprised when his estranged brother's widower, Mike, shows up at their doorstep. Mike arrives in hopes of being able to explore his late husband's past. The story takes off from there and explores a lot of misconceptions and prejudice that people have about the LGBTQ+ community. It also gives us a look at Japanese gay culture and shows how plenty of people are closeted.

I think one of the things that I liked most about this manga is that it shows how Yaichi battles with the homophobic thoughts he has due, in part, to Japanese culture. He knows that his thoughts are inaccurate and are wrong but it is hard for him to let go of some of the negative thoughts he has since they were ingrained in him. I suppose the reason I liked this is it showed that while it is possible for a person to change their hateful thoughts it isn't an easy process. It also shows that a person has to be open to changing these thoughts which a lot of people are unwilling to do.

I also really liked the relationship that Mike ended up forming with both Yaichi and Yaichi's daughter, Kana. Yaichi was very hesitant to accept Mike into his home but by the time I reached volume two of the series it was evident that he wanted to be friends with Mike, at least to an extent. Kana and Mike hit it off right away and I found her immediate acceptance of him quite heartwarming. I also thought it showed how accepting children truly are unless they are taught to be otherwise. Kana was unaware that she had an uncle and she didn't understand what it meant for him to have a husband but she slowly started to learn about it. There were also scenes where Kana had to face the bigotry and hatred that exist in the world pertaining to the LGBTQ+ community.

The author of this series did a really good job of showing the differences that exist in how the Japanese feel about the the LGBTQ+ community and how western cultures feel about it. Overall, I thought this manga was really adorable and sweet while also dealing with some complex and important topics.

There are currently only two volumes available for this series that have been translated into English. I believe that there are only three volumes available so it might be a while before volume three becomes available in English. I think that it is still worth reading and, in my opinion, volume 2 didn't end with a huge cliffhanger which makes waiting for the next volumes a bit easier.
Views 476 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments