TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Points: 20,566, Level: 20 Points: 20,566, Level: 20 Points: 20,566, Level: 20

Joblessness and Depression. - July 3rd 2013, 06:26 AM

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

OK, so my name's Hamed, seventeen year old student from the lovely land of Sydney . Not seventeen, eighteen, I don't even know how old I am LOL. I want to talk about the main cause of Depression for me personally, at the moment. And that's Joblessness. I hate using that word but it is so hard to be an eighteen year old Uni student, and not have a job, like there's Train Tickets (which now that I lost my student card, is DOUBLE what it normally is), there's food, there's textbooks, which is the big one, so it just makes shit a whole lot harder .

I haven't eaten since breakfast, that's about eight hours now, and I am starving but I have zero, ZERO left. I don't have any friends, so I have to walk home today cause I have no money for the train ticket home .

I hate this, but how do I get over it? I have been job searching for seven months now, and not even fast food outlets will hire me, cause I am older, having never worked before, and the wages are too high for someone my ages, so I am stuck, and unwanted .

It just makes you feel so worthless, LITERALLY worthless, that no one is willing to put you on a team, cause it's too expensive, cause they don't want to lose money? I have never been to an interview before, ever, so it's just self esteem sapping . I mean I have perfect grammar online, unlike most people, I have my background and understanding of mental health issues, an understanding deeper than most people and I am studying the Diploma of Business and Commerce, a Diploma more prestigious when finding work than most things people do. So why have I never been to an interview, what's wrong with me?

But how do I get over the Depression joblessness causes? Cause right now, it's making me feel really worthless and angry. Some people have gotten first jobs at restaurants, media studios, and my occupation is walking home from Uni for an hour, by myself and absolutely fucking STARVING, you have no idea . LOL.

Help .

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

Last edited by Amorphous.; July 3rd 2013 at 10:00 AM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Joblessness and Depression. - July 3rd 2013, 07:19 PM

I know how it feels when you can't pay for your travel. It's an absolutely horrible, distressing and depressing feeling. I'm a person who thinks of prioritisation.

First you need income, are you able to get any grants or funds to pay for your university travel. Would it be cheaper to find a way to get a replacement student card or would it be cheaper to try and half and half things? By this I mean pay for some kind of travel to and from your university and walk the rest of the way.

I don't know if it's the same for your country but here there are jobs that like experience, not just education. Like you I never worked before, so, I decided to try and volunteer. Volunteering is a great way of getting both experiences and references. If you have somewhere local to you and you can ask them if you can help out and/or volunteer at their shop, that'd be a great start and then maybe there could be a job at the end of it and that's when money can start flowing in for you.
Closed Thread