TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
irrele Offline
The dedicated few
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Luke

Points: 7,092, Level: 12 Points: 7,092, Level: 12 Points: 7,092, Level: 12

Question RE: Self harm and depression free ? - July 24th 2013, 01:20 PM

Hi there, well i've been out of self harm for around 6 months ish now and recently i stopped taking my anti depression tablets as advised from the doctors but i'm having those days again that i feel super down and i think about doing that kind of thing again.
I even have a job now and i should be happy i suppose so i don't know why i still have these moods, i don't want to be controlled by the negative emotions like i can just be sat on a bus or using a computer and then the mood just hits me randomly and i don't understand why which bothers me.

so... i thought i was getting over this type of stuff but apparantly not i guess.

i suppose i'm just looking for your guys opinions i suppose.

Regards,

irrele

hide those feelings behind that mask and show them the things they can't hurt !
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: Self harm and depression free ? - July 25th 2013, 01:16 AM

Hey there,

I think that maybe you should speak to your doctors about the fact that you are starting to get low and bad again. Since they took you off the medication they may be able to tell you why you are still experiencing these feelings, or put you on the medication again if they feel that this is fit.

Maybe you can also find ways to express your emotions when it hits, such as journalling/writing or doing art. It may also help you to notice patterns for when you start to get low again.

But, you can do this! It may be hard now but you can get through it all and come out on top.

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Points: 20,821, Level: 20 Points: 20,821, Level: 20 Points: 20,821, Level: 20

Re: Self harm and depression free ? - July 25th 2013, 04:12 AM

Hey there,

As Dez suggested, creative/artistic expression can be extremely useful, and I would encourage you to try to find ways to deal with issues effectively without medications. It's largely a personal opinion and an ethical decision, but I think it's usually better for one's health (and less risky) if you can find natural ways to cope and help yourself feel better.

Remember, too, that depression isn't something that most people just get out of quickly. It'll probably take some time. There might be some periods where you don't progress much or where you slip back a little bit. You'll be alright, though, I'm sure of it

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Self harm and depression free ? - July 25th 2013, 03:52 PM

Hi there,

Its sounds like you have come a really long way and I hope that you can realise that and be proud of yourself for it. Coming of medications can be a big and scary thing to do and it tends to go back to how you were when you started trying medications; trial and error. It may be that you simply aren't ready to come off them yet and so my advice would be to talk to your doctor as soon as you can about it. Did you completely stop or do it gradually by lowering the dose? Because maybe that might be a good way to start it too.

Hope this helps a little, keep fighting.
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
irrele Offline
The dedicated few
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Luke

Points: 7,092, Level: 12 Points: 7,092, Level: 12 Points: 7,092, Level: 12

Re: Self harm and depression free ? - July 26th 2013, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the responses, i know it's not what i should've done but when i was taking medication i was on 40mg and after i got some more i just stopped taking them completely and stopped going to the doctor because i felt like i didn't need to rely on them anymore. i still have my 40mg tablets that i occassionally take one of when i feel like i might undo my months of being SH free.

i do sometimes write poetry (as my creative talent in anything else is zero) which i'm not sure if it ever helped because the person i used to show them to wasn't really interested in writing at all but they were the only one i really trusted so.. =.=

hide those feelings behind that mask and show them the things they can't hurt !
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Self harm and depression free ? - July 27th 2013, 10:51 AM

Hey there,

If you stopped taking the medicine without a doctors orders you need to reschedule an appointment with the doctor so the two of you can talk about some of the options you have available. Going off medication without a doctors orders is really dangerous and it can lead to you feeling more depressed. The doctor will talk to you about the best thing for you to do and if necessary get you back on your medicine.

As for your thoughts of self harm I think you should consider using the Alternatives to Self Harm. I know that it might seem like the alternatives won't work but if you use them enough your body can adjust to them. It takes time for your body to turn to the things on that list as coping skills like it turns to the self harm.

Do you know what triggers your urges to self harm? If you can work on figuring that out you can work on getting to a better place. Something that might help you work on identifying your triggers is writing. Also, it might be a good idea if you considered going to counseling. A counselor will give you someone to talk to about everything that you are dealing with and help you to start working on finding a resolution to all of the issues.

I hope this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck.
Closed Thread