TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bvbfan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,463, Level: 12 Points: 7,463, Level: 12 Points: 7,463, Level: 12

Unhappy types of self harming besides cutting - December 31st 2012, 08:57 AM

i was wondering what is a form of selfharm that is painfull but isnt dangoruse i dont wanna cut but i have to do something please help me guys
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: forms of selfharm - December 31st 2012, 09:17 AM

Hi there!
This probably isn't the answer you're looking for so I'm sorry but I'd just like to voice my thoughts as we can't really tell you ways to harm yourself.

I think all self-harm forms are dangerous as they can progress to serious wounds and infections. Plus, sorry to be so blunt here but it can do this... It gets addictive, even if you think you can control it. You'll wanna do it more and more. You'll think "I'll do it right now and feel better..." then a hour or maybe a day later "just one more time..." then that's when the vicious cycle starts and you have marks all over your body and you have to constantly hide them because you can't quit but you don't want anyone to know. Negative thoughts start to build up because you feel like you're wearing an even thicker mask than when depression started with hiding self-harm. You start to feel even worse and hate yourself for making so many marks on your body then that can possibly begin suicidal thoughts.

Please, stop yourself before you start. It's not worth is and a really bad way to cope with sadness. Myself and many other self-harmers would have to agree it's not the way to handle things. You'll begin to forget to cope when things without self-harm and recovery is that much harder.

Please do your best to talk to someone about what's bothering you this badly. A friend/school counselor/teacher/therapist/parents/relative. Anyone you trust. Communication and support is the best way to handle things. Take care of each thing bothering you by talking it out, not bottling things up. Find a new hobby or something you enjoy to distract yourself.

If you ever need any support, you can always contact me. All my contact info is in my signature. I'm always here for you.

Stay strong, <3 you can do this without self-harm.

~ Christabel
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
bvbfan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: types of self harming besides cutting - December 31st 2012, 09:25 AM

i just need some way to feel like i belong
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: types of self harming besides cutting - December 31st 2012, 09:28 AM

Writing your feelings down in a journal, even if they don't make sense. Or drawing/painting can help express some emotions.

I'd talk to someone about this. It could really help you.

~ Christabel
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
bvbfan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: types of self harming besides cutting - December 31st 2012, 09:31 AM

but who i cant talk to family
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Points: 22,944, Level: 21 Points: 22,944, Level: 21 Points: 22,944, Level: 21

Re: types of self harming besides cutting - December 31st 2012, 09:50 AM

Hi there,

SH isn't worth it in any form. No matter how hard it is it isn't something to do. You could check out the alternatives sticky on the SH page and see if any of them work for you.
If you ever want to talk, I'm here and always ready for a chat,

Stay strong,

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: types of self harming besides cutting - December 31st 2012, 10:07 AM

I agree with Jay on the alternatives list. Definitely worth trying out.

And you can speak to relatives/siblings/friends/teacher/counselor/therapist.

~ Christabel
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: types of self harming besides cutting - December 31st 2012, 11:14 AM

Hey there,

I agree with everything that has been said so far. I know that self harm can seem like a great way to feel better or feel something more then the pain inside but in the end all it does is cause more problems. And, there is no self harm that is not dangerous. In my opinion, I think that most self harm starts out as little scratches or scrapes and leads to more severe wounds. I know that I started out scratching myself and wound up cutting deep enough to have to get stitches. Self harm also happens to be addictive, as stated previous, so a small scratch might be good enough for a while but as time progresses you usually need more and this is, I believe, due to the fact that your pain tolerance grows.

The best thing to do is to try and work on figuring out what is bothering you so much in life that you feel the need to want to try self harm. From there you can try and work on finding healthy coping skills and you can also try and work on finding resolutions to these issues. I would like to suggests that you look at the alternatives to self harm which is here.
This has a list of things that you could do instead of turning to harming yourself; the things on this list could become more healthier coping skills.

Do you have anyone that you could talk to about the things that are bothering you? It might be a good idea if you reached out to friends, family, teachers or other trusted adults in your life. It is important that you do not keep all the things that are bothering you bottled up inside and talking to people in your life is a great way to express yourself.

Another great way that you can express yourself is by keeping a journal. You can write about anything that is bothering you or just keep up with the day to day activities in your life. A journal is a great way to work on figuring out some of the things that might be triggering you in your life and bringing your down.

I think it might be good for you to look into talking to a counselor; they are a great person to go to and express yourself and get good feedback. They offer a safe environment and they can help you work on finding coping skills as well as the proper communication skills to express your emotions.

I hope that this helped and if you need anything please feel free to PM/VM.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Breathe~me Offline
Average Joe

Name: Janine

Points: 10,309, Level: 14 Points: 10,309, Level: 14 Points: 10,309, Level: 14

Re: types of self harming besides cutting - December 31st 2012, 12:07 PM

I don't suggest trying any of these but I know you probably will research it anyway so here we go ...
Things that are classfied as self harm with out being dangerous is anything that is harming your body without being a serious harm.
things include
[edit]
Well that is all i can think of that is extremely rarely dangerous ....
I know how much self harm can suck ( the cravings, temptations& urges). so Pm me anytime xx

~ Words scar, Rumors destroy and bullies kill ~
~ I'm just another nobody.
~ You can't tell how much suffering is on a face that's always smiling </3
~ Be my friend.
hold me.
wrap me up.
unfold me.
I am small and needy.
Warm me up and breathe me.

❤❤❤
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subscribe to me on Youtube <3 http://www.youtube.com/user/xJustAnotherNobodyx1
Or follow me on DeviantArt
http://lostinfragility.deviantart.com/

Last edited by *Jen*; December 31st 2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Please don't share methods or encourage self harm.
Closed Thread