TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,113, Level: 15 Points: 11,113, Level: 15 Points: 11,113, Level: 15

Can't stop cutting - April 18th 2013, 09:50 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I can't stop cutting.

I enjoy doing it,I feel in control.

I am cutting more,& more now

I feel like when I cut, I feel better. It hurts,but it's worth it,I know this sounds horrible.

I am feeling suicidal too,it's worsening. Last night I was so tempted to kill myself, I was even thinking of writing a note. Today's,... Slightly better.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Can't stop cutting - April 19th 2013, 12:03 AM

Hey there,

Self harm can be difficult to stop but it is not impossible. I think you should try Alternatives to Self Harm when you are having an urge to harm yourself. It is important to remember that it can take a while for the alternatives to actually work but don't stop using them. The fact is your body grows used to using self harm as a coping mechanism and so you have to get it accustomed to using other coping devises.

Do you know why you are having the urge to self harm? I think you should work on trying to figure out why you are having these urges because if you can figure out why you are trigger you can slowly work on trying to resolve the issues or work on finding a healthy coping method that works well with the specific issue. Something that might help you work on identifying your triggers is if you start keeping a journal. I know that I could never identify my triggers but once I started keeping a journal it got a little bit easier.

Have you ever considered talking to someone about the things that you are dealing with such as a parent, a cousin, an aunt, a teacher, or another trusted adult? I know that might be hard but you deserve to be getting support for this and there are a number of people who could offer you that support. Have you ever considered seeking counseling for this? I think counseling is such a great tool because you are able to go to an objective person about the things that are bothering you and get some positive feedback.

I hope this helped and if you need anything please feel free to PM/VM me
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
justdatdude Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jack

Points: 7,304, Level: 12 Points: 7,304, Level: 12 Points: 7,304, Level: 12

Re: Can't stop cutting - April 19th 2013, 12:05 AM

Your emotions are getting the best of you, don't hurt yourself, you don't want to kill yourself, I don't want you too You want to live. Thats why you feel better today, you must understand what you are feeling is emotions, and they ware off in time! just be patient. And do it for me PLEASE!!!!!

Do not cut yourself or i'll cut myself

Don't do something like that, its hurtful for your soul. - Your better than this, your beautiful, and your personality is nice and joyful, Also...

1.Your stronger than this

2. Your smarter than this

3. Your better than this.

IF you want more advice, PM/VM me. I will help you best i can, just don't hurt yourself. or kill yourself, Just give time. Be patient and your pain will go away!

Don't make me cry

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Can't stop cutting - April 19th 2013, 12:53 AM

Hi there :-)

I'm glad you've written a thread to us here at Teenhelp. It sounds like you're going through a difficult time so I hope we can manage to help you in some way.

You say you can't stop cutting. Truth of the matter is you can. Truth of the matter is you are the only person in the world who can stop yourself. Yes, it's hard in that moment when you have the urge to harm yourself and I understand that but like you said, you're in control, you're the only one in control of your actions. Only you can stop yourself. But know it's going to take time. It takes strength and you've got it but it takes time. Use the alternatives that you have already been sent the link too. When you're in that moment of desperation and you want to hurt yourself, use as many as you can. Don't stop until you find something that works. Just keep trying them because you will find something that helps but you need to remember not everything out there will help you, so you have to keep trying, ti find the ones that do, okay?

Can I ask why you feel like you enjoy self harm? Can I also ask what you get out of it? For example, I self harm and I find it helpful because I find that when I self harm, the physical pain I feel stops the emotional pain I'm feeling and what ever is going on around me or in my head at the time. But, everyone has different reasons. Some people do it because they use it as a form of self punishment for example but I'm just wondering why YOU do it.

I am glad today is slightly better but I'm so sorry to hear that you're also struggling with these suicidal thoughts. Suicidal thoughts are horrible to experience and I can understand that at times they can become very overwhelming which can make you feel very unsafe and alone. Do you ever feel like you get to that point? Because I think it's the point, where you can maybe become more vulnerable to self harm and even suicide so maybe it would be good for you to put in place a plan for when things do get to that point, if they do get to that point. And it could start but you getting a drink and watching some TV. If that doesn't help, then you could do something else like drawing or going for a walk, if not, try talking to a friend or family and if things get past that point, get more help, ring a helping or your doctor or a mental health professional if you see one. Having a plan in place for situations can really help us get through those moments, you know?

Just don't be alone. If you need to talk to someone, know that we're here for you and so are many others. You're never on your own and people can and want to support you through this so don't be afraid to let them in and help you when you need it. Having a good support network in place can be really beneficial so it's something I really want to encourage you. And keep fighting because you can through this. You have a bright future ahead of you so fight for it - you are worth it.

Take good care of yourself my dear,
Jessie.

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
Closed Thread