TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AoiYami Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Gender: Female? Don't care? (can tomboy count?) masculine presenting agender.

Points: 6,241, Level: 11 Points: 6,241, Level: 11 Points: 6,241, Level: 11

Question Scratching is self harm... - November 22nd 2013, 01:41 AM

I recently ended up finding out thanks to Google that scratching is actually self harm. I usually only do it when I'm just really frustrated and need a release. It's usually just to calm down and get back to normal. But recently I found myself wanting to do it when I'm not just really frustrated, I found myself wanting to do it when I just feel down. I used scratching to get rid of my feelings of being frustrated because it was quick and works. What should I do? and why is this version of self harm even considered harm? I mean ya I have noticed people saying that it can become more serious but I feel like it never will for me. Would their even be a reason to quit if it wont become worse for me?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59

Re: Scratching is self harm... - November 22nd 2013, 01:49 AM

Hi there,

First of all, welcome to TH! I hope you get what you're looking for!

Besides the fact that there is the possibility of the self harm becoming more serious, it's considered self harm because even though it's not as deep as say, cutting, self harm is defined as when a person deliberately inflicts harm or damage to one's body to cope with a feeling or urge. Since you're leaving marks and inflicting harm, you are self harming.

Self harm is also an addiction. That means you'll start craving it more frequently (even at times when you're not really frustrated), or maybe you'll end up wanting to do more to get the same feeling you do now, almost like a person with a substance addiction would. Most people don't think their self harm will get bad, but it does.

Not only that, but it's just not a good way to cope with your feelings. Besides it being addictive, you have to worry about hiding the scratches from people you don't want to know about it, because even though you can make excuses at first, if it keeps happening people may get suspicious. Also, you aren't really solving any of your problems, and so they come back. Instead, maybe use a healthier way to cope. This is a list of alternatives to self harm. Some of them even give sensations, so maybe you'll want to try those, or maybe to get a release you can do self expression or even exercise.

If you want you can try to speak to someone like a family member or friend, someone at school, a doctor, or a therapist about it and they can probably help you cope with the frustration in better ways.

It's definitely better to break the addictive cycle and focus on learning better ways to cope than self harming, though.

You can do this!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
AoiYami Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Gender: Female? Don't care? (can tomboy count?) masculine presenting agender.

Points: 6,241, Level: 11 Points: 6,241, Level: 11 Points: 6,241, Level: 11

Re: Scratching is self harm... - November 22nd 2013, 02:19 AM

It's just I don't do it very often and it's more of just a quick release from something that would otherwise eventually go away anyways... and as for the marks I'm usually doing it at home in my room or I'm wearing long sleeves anyways (not doing so on purpose, I just so happen to have that habit) so it's never noticed... I've already looked through the list and other lists of ways but nothing seems to be as quick and easy as my current way. I admit there are a few ways that seem decently quick and easy but I don't think any of them would be able to give enough of a release. I usually scratch hard enough to leave about 3 bright red marks that take longer to dissapear so ... I'm just unsure if there even would be a way to deal with it otherwise. It's not like I do it very often even so I don't think I'd ever be able to get myself to go to anyone for help anyways...
Closed Thread