TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sabah123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,919, Level: 11 Points: 5,919, Level: 11 Points: 5,919, Level: 11

self harm - January 5th 2014, 08:55 PM

hi I am in year 11 and I always self harm whenever I am angry or upset I don't knw how to over come this plz can someone help
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,814, Level: 59 Points: 172,814, Level: 59 Points: 172,814, Level: 59

Re: self harm - January 5th 2014, 09:13 PM

Hi there,

I think that it is great that you want to overcome this at all! That is the first step towards recovery.

The first thing you should do is learn better ways to manage your emotions when you are feeling angry or upset. For example, one thing you can do is use self expression such as writing, art, or music to get out your emotions. Exercise is also an amazing way to get out emotions, especially when you are something like angry. You can count to ten or take deep breaths, or even squeeze a stress ball. Find things to do with your hands, such as Rubik's Cubes.

Take a step back and allow yourself to process the emotions and cool down before you actually act upon them. As you cool down you may realize that maybe the problem wasn't as big as you had originally thought it was, and that cutting won't actually solve the issue that made you angry or upset in the first place.

Try and find things to do to distract yourself so you don't self harm. For instance, you can use one of these alternatives to self harm. They're healthier, safer ways to cope. There's even a section with things to do when you are angry.

Take some time out for yourself to relax, even if it's just something like a warm bath or shower, to focus yourself again.

But, it is also important to get support, both for what has made you angry and for the self harm in general. Some people you can speak to are friends and family members, teachers, guidance counselors, school nurses, coaches and club advisers, and other trusted adults. Your voice deserves to be heard and someone will help you get through this.

You can do it!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DanTheMan :P Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Dan

Points: 7,369, Level: 12 Points: 7,369, Level: 12 Points: 7,369, Level: 12

Re: self harm - January 5th 2014, 09:26 PM

Hey
First things first, good job on seeking help somewhere, even here. TeenHelp is a great place to go as there are so many other people going through the same thing to help you

Secondly, could you ever seek professional help? A counsellor would really help you get through any problems in a healthier way.

Try to isolate the things that trigger you and avoid them. You said whenever you get angry or upset you self harm. Whenever you are in a situation that begins to annoy or upset you, try to walk away.

However, when you do feel like self harming, try some of the aalternatives here: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/
For example, I keep an elastic band with me wherever I go in case I get triggered. Another useful method is to write the name of someone you care about a lot, and would be upset if they found out, where you want to self harm. It reminds you of how they would feel, and it can also be quite off putting self harming over their name.

If you ever needed someone to talk to, feel free to message me at any time
Good luck!

-Dan
Closed Thread