TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

cutting where you can't see what your doing? - July 11th 2015, 04:31 AM

first of all I want to say yes I no self-harm is bad and I should try and do alternatives and blah blah blah. Anyways please don't lecture me on that stuff I honestly just want to know something.

If you cut in a place where you can't see what your doing is that more dangerous then cutting where you can see what your doing?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Points: 7,617, Level: 12 Points: 7,617, Level: 12 Points: 7,617, Level: 12

Re: cutting where you can't see what your doing? - July 11th 2015, 05:15 AM

More than likely, unless you are like an owl and can turn your head where ever you please Cx 'Cause, if you can't see what you are doing, you might catch a nerve or a vein or something that probably shouldn't be cut.

"Remember your loved and you always will be. This melody will bring you right back home." - Linkin park, The messenger. Stay strong everyone!! You are always strong enough to get through whatever life throws your way, no matter how hard it may seem.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: cutting where you can't see what your doing? - July 12th 2015, 05:17 PM

i would be doing it on my lower back and i don't cut too deep. I'm talking in general.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18

Re: cutting where you can't see what your doing? - July 12th 2015, 07:55 PM

First of all, really the wrong site for this kinda of advice.

If you can't see where you are cutting, then there is an increased risk of injuring yourself. You would have less control, as you would have to bend awkwardly to get there. And you can't really know the damage you have done, unless you can a mirror or two. Just because it doesn't hurt does not mean there has not been major damage done.

And here is the obligatory "We totally do not support self harming behaviors and we are here to help you stop." speech. Self harm is an emotional bandaid on your life, and it only helps for a little bit. It does not SOLVE the problem, only distract you from it for a bit. And in the end, you still have scars. Your problems that drove you to self-harm are still there. And there is also the greater risk of infection, bloodloss, nerve damage.

So, without further ado! Here is the exhaustive list of Alternatives to Self Harm! Use it! Abuse it! Staple it to your wall and keep it in your person! IT will give you a list of activities to do, based on your trigger. And it is really exhaustive! Honestly try each one for 5 minutes, and you be doing them for a day and a half.

As for emotional support, We are here 24/7... (ish.. if the site doesn't crash.) and we a glad to help support you. You can alos talk to a trusted adult in your life. Parent, Aunt/Uncle, GRandparent, Teacher, Religious leader, Coach, School Counselor, Club Leader, etc.

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: cutting where you can't see what your doing? - July 12th 2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyeto-X View Post
First of all, really the wrong site for this kinda of advice.

If you can't see where you are cutting, then there is an increased risk of injuring yourself. You would have less control, as you would have to bend awkwardly to get there. And you can't really know the damage you have done, unless you can a mirror or two. Just because it doesn't hurt does not mean there has not been major damage done.

And here is the obligatory "We totally do not support self harming behaviors and we are here to help you stop." speech. Self harm is an emotional bandaid on your life, and it only helps for a little bit. It does not SOLVE the problem, only distract you from it for a bit. And in the end, you still have scars. Your problems that drove you to self-harm are still there. And there is also the greater risk of infection, bloodloss, nerve damage.

So, without further ado! Here is the exhaustive list of Alternatives to Self Harm! Use it! Abuse it! Staple it to your wall and keep it in your person! IT will give you a list of activities to do, based on your trigger. And it is really exhaustive! Honestly try each one for 5 minutes, and you be doing them for a day and a half.

As for emotional support, We are here 24/7... (ish.. if the site doesn't crash.) and we a glad to help support you. You can alos talk to a trusted adult in your life. Parent, Aunt/Uncle, GRandparent, Teacher, Religious leader, Coach, School Counselor, Club Leader, etc.
Thank by ft I said not to post that stuff it's just a question. Its not encouraging it in anyway people ask more damaging questions about self harm then I have
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: cutting where you can't see what your doing? - July 13th 2015, 08:12 AM

It is dangerous.
I am unable to see and i self harm.
It is difficult to know how deep you are cutting and at times how much you are bleeding.
Use your eyes. Aim for safety and quitting.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
TheTameLion Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Jeff

Points: 6,886, Level: 12 Points: 6,886, Level: 12 Points: 6,886, Level: 12

Re: cutting where you can't see what your doing? - July 14th 2015, 08:29 AM

1) Don't
2) Yes it's more dangeous because you can't see if you're cutting too deep, or cutting directly over a vein/artery, and you can't bandage it properly after and it could easily get infected.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nate

Points: 6,063, Level: 11 Points: 6,063, Level: 11 Points: 6,063, Level: 11

Re: cutting where you can't see what your doing? - July 14th 2015, 02:46 PM

Kyeto-X put it better than any of us could. You should try to transition from cutting to a safer alternative. As everyone else has said, cutting where you can't see is far more dangerous than somewhere you can.
Closed Thread