TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jamdoughnut Offline
my other ride's a rainicorn
Average Joe

Name: Jam

Points: 7,737, Level: 12 Points: 7,737, Level: 12 Points: 7,737, Level: 12

Is therapist required to report cutting? - April 21st 2016, 10:58 PM

If I say that I'm recently cutting, are they required to tell my parents? They know that there is history with it, but they do not know that it has come up again recently. And even if they aren't required to, are they likely to tell someone about it?

I know you are looking for a sea that lies beyond your reach
But im hoping my heart can stop you before you reach the beach
I know you have places to go
I know that you want the sea
But im hoping my heart will grow and that you'll
come back to me.....
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Is therapist required to report cutting? - April 21st 2016, 11:19 PM

My therapist always tell me everything is confidental unless I'm a danger to myself or others. They don't have to report cutting. Well at least none of mine did unless it was really bad. I think you should be fine.

I would def tell them though. Because you need someone to talk to
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

Re: Is therapist required to report cutting? - April 21st 2016, 11:52 PM

Sometimes the therapist would ask to see the cuts and if they need medical attention that would be a reason to get you that kind of help and in doing so, may have to tell your parents. Also I'm not sure what is done if you're under 16 years old. But maybe you can ask her what the rules are for her to break confidentiality? I know that sounds counter intuitive because she might get suspicious but I've asked for a reminder in the past when feeling suicidal to know if they'd call the hospital based on what I said (after being hospitalized and developing a fear it will happen again) and they answered my question.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Is therapist required to report cutting? - April 22nd 2016, 03:51 AM

It probably differs depending on where you are, but with my experience, therapists are required to tell your parents (if you are under eighteen) about your self-harm if they don't already know about it. My parents already knew about mine so my therapist keeps everything confidential. A therapist usually won't tell the parents anything else outside of that initial time but it depends on your therapist.

You could always ask your therapist what their confidentiality policies are, but if you're uncomfortable with that, you could talk about a "friend" in a similar situation and see what they have to say. I've done that in therapy a few times and I have found it helpful.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Is therapist required to report cutting? - April 22nd 2016, 07:06 AM

Hello

Thanks for coming to us here. I think it's great that you want to talk to your therapist about all of this but can understand your concerns about it too.

Where I live, when I was under eighteen, my therapist would have told my parents about my self harm in your kind of situation. My parents were already aware it was going on though so it didn't come as a surprise. Maybe you could talk to your therapist about their confidentiality rules? Because I really want to encourage you to talk about it so you can get further help with it. You don't deserve to go through this alone.

If you ever need to talk then please k ow we're always here. Don't be alone.
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: Is therapist required to report cutting? - April 23rd 2016, 08:15 AM

I think that it's better if you tell her that you want it confidential, because letting your parents know might make them feel worse, which might also lead to more pressure on your shoulders. I too wanna encourage you to talk about it because the more you talk to people about what you're going through, the more feedback you'll get regarding your problem and you'll know how to overcome it.

We're all always here for you.. If you want a friend or just someone to talk to, feel free to talk to me.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.
Closed Thread