TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
broken.girl96 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,952, Level: 9 Points: 3,952, Level: 9 Points: 3,952, Level: 9

Unhappy cutting - September 17th 2016, 05:16 PM

after being 4 years of being clean I just started cutting again and I wanna tell my mom about it but I'm scared for her reaction. HELP!!

Last edited by Palmolive; September 17th 2016 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Removing prefix
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: cutting - September 17th 2016, 06:13 PM

Hi there

Thanks for coming to us here for some help and support!

Four years with out self harm is absolutely amazing so remember that period of time of be proud of yourself for doing so well, okay? I am sorry that you've started self harming again. I want to really start by asking you whether anything has triggered this? I know you're not asking for with it, but if there is something and you feel you need too or would like to talk about it then please know we are always here to listen to you and support you through it whatever it is. We are not here to judge.

I think its good that you want to tell your mum. I know I've never wanted to tell mine but it got to points where she just found out or had to know (because I needed to go to hospital etc). So what a great thing for you to want to do. And lets face it, for anyone who self harms and is hoping to tell any parent, it's a pretty scary aspect and it can be nerve racking. Your mum might have a first reaction where it comes out like she is angry, really upset, confused, stressed, etc. If that happens and to you it all seems a bit over the top, then give her time. Sometimes when we find things out like someone we love is hurting themselves, it comes as a shock and that is why we can get a bad or different reaction to what we were expecting, you know? But it will pass and it might not even happen. Either way your mum will get to a point where I am sure she will want to support you (I am assuming you have a good relationship?) and will do anything to help you through it. Yes she still might be sad or upset but that's only because she cares about you so much and loves you and you're her baby and she hates to know you're in so much pain that its resulted in you self harming, okay? She just loves you and it hurts to see the people around us who we love, hurt. If you feel you can not verbally say it to your mum then maybe you could try writing her a letter or something?

If you want help with the self harming, please let us know and maybe we can help. You are not and never will be alone. Keep fighting okay? You ARE worth more than the pain you are putting yourself through.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
undia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,988, Level: 9 Points: 3,988, Level: 9 Points: 3,988, Level: 9

Re: cutting - September 19th 2016, 06:48 PM

Think how she reacted last time and how she helped you deal with it. I mean she will probably find out anyway so its better you just tell her, right? If you have done it before than her reaction this time will probably be less extreme as she has been through this before with you and can have a better idea what it means and how to help you. Consider going to talk to someone about it to get help.
Closed Thread