TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Essie17 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Esme

Points: 4,465, Level: 9 Points: 4,465, Level: 9 Points: 4,465, Level: 9

How do teachers react to self harm? - October 19th 2016, 09:16 PM

How would a teacher react if they found out that one of their students was cutting. Would they look at the student differently? i want to speak to one of my teachers but im scared they will tell my parents.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Tabitha04 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tabitha

Points: 4,858, Level: 10 Points: 4,858, Level: 10 Points: 4,858, Level: 10

Re: How do teachers react to self harm? - October 19th 2016, 09:55 PM

Teachers are mandated reporters. They have to report it.

Most teachers are very empathetic, and want to help their students. They want students to succeed, and this may be a way for you to get the help you need. Do you feel like your parents won't give you the proper support and understanding?
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Points: 8,025, Level: 13 Points: 8,025, Level: 13 Points: 8,025, Level: 13

Re: How do teachers react to self harm? - October 19th 2016, 10:04 PM

Teachers are required to tell the school counselor, and if you're hurting yourself, the counselor is required to tell your parents. If you're worried about what a teacher might think, you can always go straight to the counselor instead, since they're going to find out anyway.

Like Tabitha said, teachers are usually very kind and understanding, but depending on the teacher, they might not want to get too personal with you and might not feel like they're the right person to help you. The counselor's more likely to have good advice and the time to help you. It's awesome that you're thinking about telling someone, it could end up helping you a lot!

Hope that helped feel free to message me if you have any questions or just want to chat!

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

(#4 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: How do teachers react to self harm? - October 20th 2016, 02:58 AM

As it's been said, it really depends on the teacher. I personally believe teachers are there to do more than just teach; they have a duty to care for their students as well, since they spend so much time with them. Teachers generally are supposed to report, but being required to report doesn't always mean that they do anyway.

I can see on the side of your post that you are eighteen. Depending on where you are, it might not have to be reported because of your age. Where I live, self-harm isn't reported when you're eighteen or older, though other things can be reported.

That said, I think you should talk to your teacher about what you're going through so you have someone to support you while you're at school.

Keep us updated.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Essie17 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Esme

Points: 4,465, Level: 9 Points: 4,465, Level: 9 Points: 4,465, Level: 9

Re: How do teachers react to self harm? - October 20th 2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha04 View Post
Teachers are mandated reporters. They have to report it.

Most teachers are very empathetic, and want to help their students. They want students to succeed, and this may be a way for you to get the help you need. Do you feel like your parents won't give you the proper support and understanding?
I am just scared about what will happen if they tell my parents. I really don't think it will help me atall.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: How do teachers react to self harm? - October 20th 2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essie17 View Post
I am just scared about what will happen if they tell my parents. I really don't think it will help me atall.
When it comes to them telling your parents, something to consider is that I think a lot of parents would rather hear it from you before they'd hear it from someone else. I can understand why you don't want them to know, though.

What if you asked your teacher or counselor about their policies? You can say you have a "friend" and give their age, and ask what would happen in regards to reporting if they were to tell someone they were struggling with self-harm. That way, you can get a little information to help you figure out whether or not you feel safe telling your teacher about it.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: How do teachers react to self harm? - October 20th 2016, 03:05 PM

I can totally respect why you don't want your parents to know about it, especially if your parents are in some way contributing to the problem.

However, as said, teachers and guidance counsellors have to report these sort of things. They're not going to do it to harm you, they'll just do it because they're looking out for your welfare. Talking to a guidance counsellor might also be a good step, because, as said, a teacher might go to them any how and/or might be more comfortable having you talk to a counsellor who's more equipped to advise you about things like self-harm. But that's totally your call. As Cassado said, it might be a good idea to ask the teacher or guidance counsellor you plan to speak to about their policies just to clear up what they will/have to do if a student tells them about certain things and then proceed from there.

I hope you'll be able to feel safe approaching someone like a guidance counsellor because they'll want to make sure you get the help you need. Hopefully our responses helped some.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: How do teachers react to self harm? - October 21st 2016, 05:09 PM

Hi there,

The way I see it every teacher reacts differently and it really matters when it comes to how old you are. Your profile says you are 18, so if you are, you are legally considered an adult.

I told my gym teacher about it when I was 18. At this point I had been struggling with it for over 8 years. He just gave me some tips and suggestions on how to cope with it. He also said he would send the counselor an email so she could touch base with me. I eventually started seeing her, but she never told my parents about it.

In college, when I was 22 years old, my teacher had somehow found out about it, she also found out about my suicide thoughts and actions. Eventually a month or so later I was brought to security then taken to the hospital under the mental health act where I was discharged 10 hours later.

On the flip side, when my friend was 15 she told the counselor and almost immediately she told her parents. So I guess it depends on your age, how severe it is, and if they think that you're going to do permanent damage to yourself. This also depends on what country you are currently living in, all this information I am giving you is from personal experiences and I am Canadian. So something that might happen in Canada might be different in the United States, or England.

Make sure you do some research about what the laws are in your country when it comes to counselors releasing that kind of information. Let us know what ends up happening.

Let me know if I can do anything!
Best of luck!
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: How do teachers react to self harm? - October 21st 2016, 07:25 PM

Hello!

In all honestly I have not read the other posts on this thread. Because I wanted to give you advice on my experience and thoughts.

My school helped me so much from the age of 14-18. First my English teacher was the one who I opened up to but then I started talking to my pastoral support officer who I literally went to a few days every week for the four years and then when I hit 16-18 and went into sixth form, I spoke to my head of sixth form too. And they were all so supportive. At first when I told them about the self harming they contacted my mum to come in for a meeting with quite a few people. But from then unless I have overdosed or tried to kill myself in someway, they didn't really pass on much information apart from when social services got involved when I was living on my own with my sister because we were under eighteen.

But I don't think they looked at my differently. They certainly didn't treat me differently in lessons but they were just there for me to talk to when I needed someone. My head of sixth form even took me to A&E once because I had overdosed but she didn't call home or anything. She sat with me for an hour or so while I got settled and then left me and phoned me later and I saw her the following week when I was back at school where we had a catch up.

And from the age of 15 I was in and out of psych units and school were so supportive. They came to all the meetings at my child and adolescent unit and they offered for me to drop one of my GCSE subjects so I dropped business because to be honest I didn't understand, never went to the lessons anyway and hated it. Which then gave me three free hours a week to catch up in other lessons. They were so supportive and I am so thankful for it all.

Honestly, try talking to them. I believe teachers are there for more than just giving an education. They do it because they care about the children and teenagers they teach.

Hang on in there, try to talk and get help and also remember you are never alone, we're always here!

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
Closed Thread