TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Essie17 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Esme

Points: 4,465, Level: 9 Points: 4,465, Level: 9 Points: 4,465, Level: 9

Feel like cutting - October 22nd 2016, 12:38 PM

im feeling really down right now and am so close to cutting but i really dont want to get that far. i just need someone to talk to or advice.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Feel like cutting - October 22nd 2016, 01:56 PM

I'm sorry you're feeling low. Do you know what made you feel bad or are you unsure? If you're aware of what made you feel bad, maybe you can find a way to cope with that so it makes you feel a little bit better.

You mentioned not wanting to get too far, so maybe you can use alternatives or distractions that help prevent you from feeling worse so you're a little less likely to cut. Do you have any common or favorite alternatives that have helped you in the past? Try those or if you're looking for something different, try a new one.

You're always welcome to PM me if you want to talk about how you're doing. If you come online and can't find anyone to talk to, or don't want to talk, try blogging to see if that helps.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Essie17 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Esme

Points: 4,465, Level: 9 Points: 4,465, Level: 9 Points: 4,465, Level: 9

Re: Feel like cutting - October 22nd 2016, 04:31 PM

Just everything is building up and getting too much. i dont know what to do
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Feel like cutting - October 23rd 2016, 02:37 AM

If you feel comfortable talking about it, what things are building up? Are you experiencing different feelings, it is something with people around you, or how things are going in general? It might help to talk about what is upsetting you; bottling it all inside can make it resurface later at a greater intensity.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Feel like cutting - October 23rd 2016, 09:53 PM

Hello

Thank you for coming to us here, I know talking about it can be hard but you have done well in doing so, so be proud of yourself for that. Big first step taken!

I really do want to be able to help you with all of this but you have only given us very small details and while thats okay because like I said its a big first step and we will do things at your pace, if you feel able to open up to us a bit more, that'd be helpful but no pressure, okay? Do whats best for you right now, that all we care about!

Self harm can be really hard to beat and overcome but it is possible. They are thoughts and urges but you are in control of them. They can not hurt you. The only way you're going to get hurt by these thoughts and urges is if YOU act on them. And from my own experience I know that is so much easier said than doing but it is possible. I've been self harming for nearly 14 years and its gotten worse and grown with me as I have grown up and Im at a point where it is starting to become less often but I need to work on not self harming as severely. But I think it's about training your mind to understand that when you feel bad, low, sad, upset, stressed or what ever else, you don't need self harm. You need to make the pathways in your brain learn that you don't need it by replacing it with something healthy.

And there are so many distractions like going for a walk, reading a book, writing things down or even writing a poem or song lyrics, going to the gym, meeting a friend, doing school/college work, tidying up, watching a film, ringing someone, even ringing a helpline, snuggling into bed, petting your pets, playing a game, going for a run, going shopping, going to the cinema, just even things like being around others or getting out the house and even things like creating yourself a safe place to go to and even making a self soothe box to turn too. I find these really helpful. My self soothe box has grown over the years and it is massive now and I have dvds that cheer me up in there, letters, photo's gifts, candles, nail varnish, recovery and hope books, cream, bath bombs, glow sticks, everything that helps me in the moment.

Give things a try. Not everything is going to work for you but there will be things out there that help you so it is about trial and error and not giving up when something doesn't help, you know? It can be a bit exhausting but wen you have found the things that help it is so worth it. Then you can use those things constantly. I know listening to upbeat music when I am low and singing really loudly to it helps me. Like acting like no one else is on the house. I even throw in a dance move or two!

Just hang on in there and if there is more you want to talk to us about, please do. Again at your own pace but remember we're not here to judge. We're here to help and support you. You're never alone so don't ever suffer in silence.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
Closed Thread