TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Emmylou Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,389, Level: 8 Points: 3,389, Level: 8 Points: 3,389, Level: 8

Will a doctor ask about my self harm if they notice it?? - December 10th 2017, 10:46 PM

Help please - I'm so worried. I have a appointment with a rheumatologist consultant in 3 days for my joints and they'll have to examine my hands and wrists. Last week I self harmed again and scraped my hand and arm with a [edited] and now I'm left with pretty noticeable cuts/scars - particularly on my hand. It was as so stupid of me and I'm so annoyed with myself for doing it.

There's no way the doctor won't notice dark red lines on my hand. Will they say anything? I'm 17 and my mum will be with me. I don't want to talk about it with the doctor and I absolutely do not want my mum finding out.

So will the doctor say anything and is there any way I could get rid of the scars before wednesday??

Last edited by hocus pocus; December 13th 2017 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Removing self-harm method.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Points: 10,960, Level: 15 Points: 10,960, Level: 15 Points: 10,960, Level: 15

Re: Will a doctor ask about my self harm if they notice it?? - December 11th 2017, 12:23 PM

I don't think there is any way to speed up the healing process that much.
Though while it depends on your doctor if they are somewhat sensitive they will not ask. At least not infront of you mom. Usually doctors know that much. They've seen sh scars before so don't worry about being judged by them. And even if they ask you can always tell them you don't want to talk about it though the doctor only wants your best so while it might be uncomfortable you could try talking with them anyway.
If you don't trust your doc to not say anything infront of your mom maybe you can ask to go in alone? Like say you're already 17 and want to learn to do these things on your own. That way she won't be with you in the room when he sees them.
Best of luck

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23

Re: Will a doctor ask about my self harm if they notice it?? - December 11th 2017, 01:50 PM

I would expect that it would depend on the doctor. Usually if they only notice old scars, they don't say anything at all. With new scars, it's difficult to say. While 17 is usually too young to go to doctor appointments alone, you are able to ask parents to step out of the room (and some doctors push parents to step out of the room for teens). If you do this, it's more likely that if your doctor says anything at all, it would be then. However, since you are a minor, the doctor can legally still tell your mom about self harm, but that hasn't been my experience, and most doctors won't. I have never had a doctor ask me about scars, even when I was a minor.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.
Closed Thread