TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#41 (permalink)) Old
Jenna Peterson Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jenna

Points: 10,601, Level: 15 Points: 10,601, Level: 15 Points: 10,601, Level: 15

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 28th 2010, 08:18 AM

I'm a cutter/former cutter (Free since July, but fighting every minute of it).

I'm amused by some of the ridiculous, pointed at no one jokes, like the self-cutting lawn one. Those are harmless, and never directed at anyone.

When someone tries to call me or someone else emo, whether or not they mean it, or when someone makes a cutting joke about an accidental cut without realizing that it's just a scratch compared to the real ones... that's when I feel really akward and want to say something. If they mean it, then I'm mad and disgusted. If they don't, then I'm irritated and shocked.

The walls are high, the walls are strong
I've been trapped in this castle that I built for far too long
You have surrounded me, a sea on every side
The cracks are forming and I've got no where to hide
  (#42 (permalink)) Old
Metal♥Lover Offline
Looking For Someone Like Me.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: April

Points: 14,066, Level: 17 Points: 14,066, Level: 17 Points: 14,066, Level: 17

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 28th 2010, 04:08 PM

I personally hate cutting/"emo" jokes. They're cruel and they make fun of people who really need help with a serious issue, even when they're made by people who don't intend to hurt others feelings. I've been around people who have made a cutting joke right in front of me and nobody knew that I actually cut myself. It made me feel alone and like nobody truely likes me. It made me feel undeserving of any love because I'm an "emo who cuts herself". It made me want to cry right there at the lunch table and I had to bite down on my lip to keep from bursting into tears in front of everybody. Even if they are mostly made by harmless people, it doesn't make the joke itself harmless.

♥Check Out My Social Group ♥.::For The Imperfect People::.♥

(#43 (permalink)) Old
Fallen_Angel93 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,956, Level: 14 Points: 9,956, Level: 14 Points: 9,956, Level: 14

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 28th 2010, 05:00 PM

I hate jokes about things like that. I've been SH free for almost a year. Freshman year a girl in my class came up to me and asked to see my wrists bc she knew I was emo. I was like not all emos cut. Then she went over to her friends and started pointing at me and laughing. I got pissed and almost got up and beat the crap out of her. My friends stopped me from doing it. Those jokes have become a form of bullying. I can't find a way to laugh at them. They aren't funny. People really do need to think before they speak. They really have no idea what people who do SH are going through.
  (#44 (permalink)) Old
xyournotalonex Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,218, Level: 13 Points: 8,218, Level: 13 Points: 8,218, Level: 13

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - December 3rd 2010, 05:40 PM

I sort of am bovered by these "emo" jokes and comments because I know how it feels to be one of these so called "emos" (as i do SH but no one knows about it), but i do know that most people don't mean to offend and so i think it can be alright to make jokes but if the jokes are really insensitive and are meant to be offending then to me thats just out of order.
  (#45 (permalink)) Old
627vampire Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brianne Pauline

Points: 8,453, Level: 13 Points: 8,453, Level: 13 Points: 8,453, Level: 13

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - December 4th 2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmisschatterbox View Post
my sisters like this i dress emo and she often says things like ' why dress emo all they do is cut' and she makes remarks about how i choose to dress. i also cut, and when my sister starts going on and on about emos and cutting, it pisses me off, yes im emo, yes i cut, my sister doesnt know that i cut either. i hate all the emo and self harm jokes people make. i cut for reasons i have my reasons why i cut and i dont cut because i dress emo like the emo and self harm jokes always seem to make out, i cut because i real reasons !
that is right though.........people do stuff for a reason.......
  (#46 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 30,320, Level: 25 Points: 30,320, Level: 25 Points: 30,320, Level: 25

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - December 7th 2010, 01:49 AM

I SH and I make 'emo' jokes. I laugh about everything--I think laughing is healthier than getting all riled up about something. Plus, one of my biggest pet peeves is people who take offense to everything. It's important to laugh at yourself sometimes. In fact, I believe it aids in recovery. If you let your SH control your life, it will. By ridiculing the idea of it (not the people who do it, mind you, but merely the idea), it diminishes its power over you.
  (#47 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Points: 17,897, Level: 19 Points: 17,897, Level: 19 Points: 17,897, Level: 19

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - December 7th 2010, 02:02 AM

It doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I don't see how it's any different than joking about drugs, alcohol, etc. The only time it bothers me is when I can tell the person is trying to be offensive.
  (#48 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Points: 30,771, Level: 25 Points: 30,771, Level: 25 Points: 30,771, Level: 25

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - December 7th 2010, 03:50 PM

I feel uncomfortable hearing 'emo' jokes. It's just like... they're just mucking around, but then I think about my own scars it's like 'this is real people!!!' I never know what to do about it so just go quiet.
Closed Thread