TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lovatoac Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Devon

Points: 8,862, Level: 13 Points: 8,862, Level: 13 Points: 8,862, Level: 13

Unhappy I'm a prep cook;triggered everyday at work. - November 3rd 2011, 04:48 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I have been cutting for about 4 months now and burned for a year before that. I got a job 2 weeks ago as a prep cook. Everyday I'm working with sharp, sharp knives, grills, a stove and an oven. i used to cut at most 3 times a week, now I have been cutting multiple times a day, and burning about once a day. It may sound lame, but for some reason the knives and fire everywhere triggers me so much. I really need the money though, I dont know what to do. Also, is it weird?

I'm just a girl that wants to believe in fairytales again...
Stay Strong <3
Faking a smile is so easy to do
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22

Re: I'm a prep cook;triggered everyday at work. - November 3rd 2011, 05:29 AM

Hey Devon!

Honestly, I don't think it's that weird, considering I'm a recovering self-harmer, who works as a dishwasher (therefore, also get exposure to sharp knives, scorching hot pans, etc.). It can be quite triggering, particularly on bad days. In fact, I have slipped up at work before, NOT a good idea!

Are you seeing a therapist or counselor for this? You probably should seek a professional, at least to get some healthier coping techniques.

Personally, when I'm at work and feel triggered, I try to move to a less "triggering" task. I don't know what you prep, but I've done some prep work as well, and there are some tasks that don't require knives or burners. However, if I'm triggered after work, I use my usual distractions (painting, drawing, video games, or whatever else).

Hopefully things will get easier, and your job works out well for you.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
suchxaxdollxx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cammelle

Points: 10,005, Level: 14 Points: 10,005, Level: 14 Points: 10,005, Level: 14

Re: I'm a prep cook;triggered everyday at work. - November 3rd 2011, 06:24 PM

I was SH free for a while before I got the job I currently have. I started working with box cutters, so it triggered me. I got rid of alot of the stuff that I would use at home, but here at work I can't really do that. It's hard because I fight with myself every day not to cut, and it doesn't always work. It is a very hard, never ending cycle, because I need the job as well. Do something to keep your mind off of it, or think about something else that could preoccupy your mind.

You gotta learn to live, laugh, and love. Especially live, even though sometimes it's the hardest thing to do.

www.facebook.com/cammyxchaos
Closed Thread