TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,733, Level: 12 Points: 7,733, Level: 12 Points: 7,733, Level: 12

self harm scars at work - December 15th 2011, 07:15 PM

so i start job training for my new job tomorrow and i'm worried because i know we have to wear short sleeves and i have quite a few scars on my arms and wrists and they are still very notcible :/. I really don't know what to do i'm scared someone might ask how i got them e.g my boss/co workers , i know that people will look but i guess that can't be avoided but what do i do? I'm dreading tomorrow
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 775906 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: self harm scars at work - December 15th 2011, 08:06 PM

Hi there.

Honestly? What I think you should do ... Act like they aren't there. Why? Because your scars don't reflect who you are as a person, they don't make you less of a person or make you look 'weak'. I can understand that this might be hard for you, but maybe this is part of your process of recovery. And if people ask, tell them, say you once went through a rough time and found this as a way to cope or just tell them it's none of their business, because it really isn't. There scars prove you were strong enough to fight through those hard times, they don't make you less of a person. Be confident with them, there is nothing wrong.

Alternatively, if you really don't want to do that, could you try and wear a long sleeved top underneath your work uniform? Or maybe try covering them with make up?

Here is a quote from the book 'The other hand' I am reading ...

Quote:
On the girl's brown legs were many small white scars. I was thinking, Do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought it would be pretty too and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what makes the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all the scars as beauty, Okay? This will be our secret/ Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means 'I survived'

In a few breathes' time I will speak some sad words to you. You must hear them the same way we have agreed to see scars now. Sad words are just another beauty. A sad story means this story teller is alive. The next thing you need to know, something fine will happen to her, something marvelous, and then she will turn around and smile'
You have a story, you have the scars, you are the story teller. Be proud that you fought through what ever you have been through and that you survived.

Jessie.

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,657, Level: 29 Points: 40,657, Level: 29 Points: 40,657, Level: 29

Re: self harm scars at work - December 18th 2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygophobia View Post
Hi there.

Honestly? What I think you should do ... Act like they aren't there. Why? Because your scars don't reflect who you are as a person, they don't make you less of a person or make you look 'weak'. I can understand that this might be hard for you, but maybe this is part of your process of recovery. And if people ask, tell them, say you once went through a rough time and found this as a way to cope or just tell them it's none of their business, because it really isn't. There scars prove you were strong enough to fight through those hard times, they don't make you less of a person. Be confident with them, there is nothing wrong.

Alternatively, if you really don't want to do that, could you try and wear a long sleeved top underneath your work uniform? Or maybe try covering them with make up?

Here is a quote from the book 'The other hand' I am reading ...

You have a story, you have the scars, you are the story teller. Be proud that you fought through what ever you have been through and that you survived.

Jessie.
I am in awe of this girl right now. There's really nothing else for me to say on the matter. Just remember that you are beautiful and your scars represent all you are fighting through. They don't make you a bad person. Good luck tomorrow!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread