TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jhor Offline
Average Joe

Name: Water

Points: 9,798, Level: 14 Points: 9,798, Level: 14 Points: 9,798, Level: 14

Cutting Off. - December 11th 2011, 03:55 AM

Sometimes I completely zone out. When I zone out, my vision goes blurry and it feels like i'm in an astronaut's suit. All I can here is my breathing and muffled sounds of whatever's going on around me. It's almost like I'm disconnected from my body, because sometimes I have all these thoughts racing around my mind, but I'm not paying any attention to them. But then again, sometimes, I don't think anything. I never feel anything whilst in this state.

I used to get this feeling where I felt numb, and like I was unreal. It's happened to me since I was 3 or 4. Obviously, I understand it a bit more now then I did then, but not much. It still happens at events like parties, or recitals, Or any time I've a lot of excitement. (I've associated it with my mind cutting off when there's too much emotion for it to handle, but that's not what I'm asking about). I'm bringing that up to say that as similar as these feelings are - including the astronaut part - this feels a little different. This is like I'm controlling it, and I can snap out of it whenever I want to.

What frustrates me about the numb feeling is the lack of control. It gives me a really strong urge to self-harm in attempt to snap out of it and wake myself up. But this new feeling hardly ever gives me any urge to self harm (sometimes randomly, but very rarely), and I find it kind of nice. To like, not have to think anything or feel anything for a little while. I find myself doing this in stressful situations, or when an uncomfortable thought comes on. I know that you need to learn to cope with those things, but this is a way of coping. It's like my body & mind don't think it's necessary to try and combat certain feelings - cutting of is rather peaceful.

So, my question - Is there really anything wrong with cutting off those emotions? Can it really be of any harm?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Akito Offline
Skeleton in a Citadel
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amy, Akito, Aki.

Points: 9,366, Level: 14 Points: 9,366, Level: 14 Points: 9,366, Level: 14

Re: Cutting Off. - December 11th 2011, 05:50 AM

I think cutting off those emotions can be of harm, but not necessarily. If you are using it simply to overcome your overwhelmed state, then it may actually benefit you in giving you more control over yourself. However, if you use it excessively or detrimentally, it may cause you to become dissociated with your surroundings (and consequently not as aware of them). It depends on how well you manage the ability, that you balance it just enough to achieve only beneficial outcomes.

"Who, being loved, is poor?"
- Oscar Wilde
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - -
"When all you've got is nothing,
there's a lot to go around."
- - - - - - -
"Though hope is frail,
it's hard to kill."
- - - - - - -
HelpLINK Mentor since 1/12/12.
Closed Thread