TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WobblyTM Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,647, Level: 14 Points: 9,647, Level: 14 Points: 9,647, Level: 14

Views to Disability and political correctness - August 1st 2009, 01:47 AM

Okay.. first things first. I'm blind. Registered blind anyway... but i have limited sight in my right eye.. none at all in my left... and the stuff i have in my right could go at any time! Yay.. that's the fun stuff over with!

I've grown up with this all my life.. i was born with it, and i learned to deal with it at a very young age. I sail, i ski, i argue.. infact.. i do anything i want except drive (and that's the thing that most gets on my nerves but lets not get into that just now!) yet people still see me as "the blind" sometimes.. this frustraits me.

I've given numerous speaches for the political parties on disabled rights for visually impaired people to try and change peoples perceptions. Soemtimes it works.. sometimes it doesnt. I've been brought up with a "can do" attitude, which some people do not have.

Do you think that there are too many disabled people going arond these days who feel sorry for themselves? Do you feel sorry for yourselves from time to time? i know i do.. very seldolmly.. i get depressed that i cant have my freedom as i cant drive!

Also.. do you think PC has gone too far when it comes to disabilities?? i do! Example:

I was shopping with my friends and one of them said "oh look over there!" me being a smart a*se i said "i cant.. i'm a blindy b***rd!" they laughed.. but this totally random woman came up and said "excuse me young man.. i dont think it's right to call yourself that.. the correct term is visually impaired person..".. anyway.. i told her where to stick it! That's PC gone mad!

Personally i dont see myself as disaibled... if anyone has a problem.. then it's the people who dont like me!!

So.. do you see your self as disabled?? Do you think PC has went mad?? do you think that too many disabled people are feeling sorry for themselves????

Oh and do you think blind people should be allowed their own roads haha

cheers

WobblyTM

Last edited by eunoia; August 1st 2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Moved to Debates.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24

Re: Views to Disability and political correctness - August 1st 2009, 03:33 AM

First off welcome to the website man.

Second, I do think PC has gone way over the top. We as a culture have become so afraid of maybe offending someone just a little bit, that we're reaching the point where we have forgotten to take a joke and accept certain things as not being serious.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19

Re: Views to Disability and political correctness - August 1st 2009, 03:54 PM

I agree I think that PC has gone way to far. I also would have told off that woman if I was you as well, I mean where does someone get off telling a blind person how to talk about their own blindness. I do think that at time PC terms might make a disabled person feel worse, I mean obviously you don't call your self visually impaired in normal conversation

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
Closed Thread