TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Neurodiversity This forum is for everything about neurodiversity, such as autism, ADHD or dyslexia - talk about here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TylerVo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,756, Level: 12 Points: 7,756, Level: 12 Points: 7,756, Level: 12

ADHD Makes You Have To Work Harder - September 21st 2011, 01:47 AM

I noticed that I have to work harder than everyone else and my mom says it's because I have ADHD. Is it true that if you have ADHD, you have more trouble doing everyday activities that others can easily do? Like I have to go to work early to get things done rather than the normal time.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: ADHD Makes You Have To Work Harder - September 21st 2011, 02:27 AM

Well ADHD makes it harder to concentrate so I think that is why it would take you longer to complete activities.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
The lightgreenness. :D
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 20,750, Level: 20 Points: 20,750, Level: 20 Points: 20,750, Level: 20

Re: ADHD Makes You Have To Work Harder - September 21st 2011, 03:48 AM

I agree with Nicole. I do not have ADHD, but I have Cerebral Palsy, and some tasks take longer than others for me to complete. It's nothing to be ashamed of or feel bad about.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: ADHD Makes You Have To Work Harder - September 22nd 2011, 03:30 PM

ADHD, or Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, usually tends for people to have to work harder than others, much like ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). It's not a bad thing. You didn't ask for ADHD, but it does require a bit more work than others. You have a harder time concentrating on any one thing, and you are very hyperactive (or hyper, in order words) making it difficult to do things in general.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37

Re: ADHD Makes You Have To Work Harder - September 22nd 2011, 04:09 PM

I have ADHD and yes everything does take me longer, I have found asking for extra time helps me.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
vert_igo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Verti

Points: 8,183, Level: 13 Points: 8,183, Level: 13 Points: 8,183, Level: 13

Re: ADHD Makes You Have To Work Harder - September 22nd 2011, 06:09 PM

I'm actually a very fast and efficient work, and I learn very fast too - the problem is that I can't organize my thoughts all the time. There's usually so much going on in my head that I simply have a hard time prioritizing my attention. If I couldn't organize my thoughts internally, then there was no way I'd be able to effectively articulate them, it's like trying to untangle a giant knot sometimes. Then in school, I'd get frustrated if I fell behind and completely give up, afraid that if I tried and failed then it would mean I was stupid - I was very disillusioned and thought that not trying altogether was better, not sure if this is common among others with ADD, as this type of extreme one or the other behavior tends to manifest in many different behaviors. I have awful time management skills as well.

I have noticed that medication is definitely not a magic fix-all, and comes with many cons - it makes things clearer for me, and when I first took it I felt like a near sighted person putting on glasses for the first time. However, medication won't do squat if the motivation simply is not there. I have had days on my meds where I just lock myself in my room and work on drawings completely unrelated to school work and fail to get assignments done because I'm so engrossed in it. Additionally, the use of stimulants for ADD has many, many side-effects - the biggest for me is dependency, I would even go so far to say that I abuse it, self medicate and am addicted to the stimulant high. In the end, if you have the motivation then you can do well without medication - it may take you longer, but it's doable. Medication should be a tool, not something required or depended on. I know that you didn't specifically mention medication, but it's usually the only solution sought out for ADD(despite the fact that most schools offer education support services, free tutoring, and therapists can be very helpful in helping individuals who have problems organizing their life), and it's something I have personal experience with.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
TylerVo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,756, Level: 12 Points: 7,756, Level: 12 Points: 7,756, Level: 12

Re: ADHD Makes You Have To Work Harder - September 23rd 2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I'm actually a very fast and efficient work, and I learn very fast too - the problem is that I can't organize my thoughts all the time.
I have the same problem. I can do things really fast, but I'm not good in most areas of life. I have found that I have an IQ of 137, when I was younger. People expect me to do good, but I always end up failing, mainly because of my lack of organizational skills. It can be hard at times. What's important is not intelligence, but hard work and motivation. Some describe ADD/ADHD as an invisible weight that's always attached to you. I can't think of any better way to describe it. Does anybody else here have ADHD and feel this way?

Quote:
I have noticed that medication is definitely not a magic fix-all, and comes with many cons - it makes things clearer for me, and when I first took it I felt like a near sighted person putting on glasses for the first time.
I always forget to take my medicine so It doesn't help me at all.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Points: 32,255, Level: 25 Points: 32,255, Level: 25 Points: 32,255, Level: 25

Re: ADHD Makes You Have To Work Harder - September 23rd 2011, 12:55 AM

I just learned about this in my child development class today.

It may be harder to concentrate in classes & sometimes your mood may be all over the place, but life isn't going to necessarily be harder. Also, unless you've seen a doctor, don't let your mom diagnose you. A lot of people are misdiagnosed with ADHD when really it's something else like depression, anxiety, or bipolar. Also, symptoms must be present before you're seven or else it's most likely something current that's messed with your emotions. Obviously I'm not a doctor or anything, this is just my opinion based on what my boyfriend (who has ADHD) has told me & what I've learned in class. See a doctor.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Points: 20,778, Level: 20 Points: 20,778, Level: 20 Points: 20,778, Level: 20

Re: ADHD Makes You Have To Work Harder - October 6th 2011, 10:59 AM

Everyone has got it dead on

ALLOW yourself the extra time you need You have a disorder, make it easier for yourself. I do not have ADHD, but I have another condition, I find I have to give myself breaks due to bouts of weakness and headpain I get, this is what YOU need to do, TIME, ALLOW YOURSELF WHAT YOU NEED!

Any questions, you can PM me
Jem
xx

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!
Closed Thread